As Karthigai deepam festival is celebrated on 2 December, back to back Appam recipes in my blog. This Maida Appam recipe is the most simplest one compared to other appam recipes, as there is no elaborate work like grinding or heating jaggery with water and filtering is needed here. Just mix maida and sugar with all the other ingredients and fry, it’s done!. This Sweet Maida Paniyaram is sold in small carts along with vada, bajji, bonda etc and it is a common scene in the streets of Tamilnadu.
Wish all my readers a happy Karthigai Deepam.
1. Adjust sugar as per sweetness preferred for this maida appam recipe.
2. Maida and sugar can be replaced with wheat flour and jaggery too.
3. One small ripe banana, can be mashed and added, it lends more softness.
4. Also don’t pour all the water, when mixing the batter itself. As during the resting time (step 5) the sugar dissolves and the batter becomes little watery.
5. If the batter is thick, the appams become dense and hard. Pour little water and adjust the consistency.
6. If the batter is watery, the appams turn flat and disintegrates in oil. Add little more maida and thicken the batter.
7. Also don’t add cooking soda more than mentioned, else the appams absorbs more oil.
8. If preferred it can be deep fried in oil, but fry one at a time to get perfectly shaped appams.
9. This sweet maida paniyaram stays good for 2 to 3 days.