This Ladies finger tamarind kootu / vendakkai puli kootu tastes so delicious when had with hot hot steaming rice and goes well with idli, dosa and even chapathi too. This is a very simple recipe, the sourness from tamarind and the spiciness from green chilli, makes this dish tastes tangy and hot with added spices. It is different from the regular kootu varieties, as we don’t use coconut or curd. Let’s go to the recipe making…..
- 1/2 Kg Lady's finger / Okra
- 1 Big Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 3 Green chilli
- 1 Small Tamarind (Gooseberry sized)
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder / Kuzhambu milagai thool
- Salt As Required
- 2 tsp Rice Flour
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
Soak tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes, extract tamarind water and discard the pulp. Wash and chop okra into 1 inch pieces. Chop onion, tomato and slit green chilli's.
Heat oil in a pan, add the okra and saute in medium flame till the sliminess in the okra leaves.
In the same pan add oil and temper with the ingredients listed in the table 'To temper'.
Add onion, green chilli and saute till it turns transparent. Then add tomato and saute again until mushy.
Now add turmeric powder, sambar powder and mix well. Then add the sauted okra's.
Add salt and tamarind water. Cover it with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
1. Always choose tender and fresh okra’s for this ladies finger tamarind kootu.
2. Adjust green chilli’s as per spiciness required.
3. Always saute okra, to get rid of sliminess in the veggie.
4. Tamarind quantity can be increased or decreased as per tanginess required.
5. Tamarind extract can be replaced with 1.5 tsp of tamarind paste.
6. Addition of rice flour is a must, to give thickness to the kootu.
7. The consistency of this vendakkai puli kootu, should be saucy only not watery.
8. Other veggies like yam, cluster beans, brinjal, banana flower can also be used.