This Kovil Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet Pongal Recipe is my first post in https://asmallbite.com and hence thought of posting this traditional sweet recipe. As an amateur in the blogging world, I have tried to provide this simple recipe with step-wise pictures and hope this will be useful to all. Please share your valuable comments in this blog so that it will be helpful to improve my blog.
- 1/2 Cup Raw Rice / பச்சைஅரிசி
- 3 to 4 tbsp Moong Dal / பாசிப்பருப்பு
- 1/2 Cup Jaggery / வெல்லம்
- 2 Cardamom / ஏலக்காய்
- 1 Cloves / கிராம்பு
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg Powder / ஜாதிக்காய் தூள்
- 5 to 6 Cashew / Raisins
- 1 Pinch Edible Camphor / பச்சை கற்பூரம் (Optional)
- Few Strands Saffron / குங்குமப்பூ (Optional)
- Salt / உப்பு (A small pinch)
- 2.5 Cup Water / தண்ணீர்
- 3 to 4 tbsp Ghee / நெய் Link for ghee
Heat ½ tsp of ghee, fry cashews, raisins, cloves and elachi. Switch off flame, add nutmeg powder and give a quick stir. Keep by side.
In the same kadai, roast moong dal till golden brown. Wash rice and pressure cook dal and rice with water and salt for 5 whistles.
Mash it well. In a kadai pour little water and add powder jaggery. Heat and melt it.
Tips for Sweet Pongal Recipe
1. Don’t add edible camphor or nutmeg powder more than mentioned, it gives bitterness to the Sweet pongal recipe.
2. Use 'Paagu Vellam' to get dark colour kovil sakkarai pongal
3. Use good quality ghee for nice flavour. Also add little more ghee than mentioned to get soft and rich pongal.
4. Add little warm milk if the pongal is dry.
5. Old rice require more water, new rice need little less water, so add water accordingly.
Method for Kovil Sakkkarai Pongal Recipe
2. In the same kadai, roast moong dal till golden brown. Wash rice and pressure cook dal and rice with water and salt for 5 whistles.
3. Mash it well. In a kadai pour little water and add powder jaggery. Heat and melt it.
4. Strain through a filter and pour over the mashed rice. Cook the pongal in medium flame for 5 minutes. Add ghee at regular intervals. Finally add fried cashews, raisins, cloves, elaichi and saffron soaked in little warm milk.
Tasty Kovil Sakkarai pongal is ready, serve hot with ghee drizzled on top.