Kootu Curry Recipe / Kootu Curry Kerala Style is specially prepared on the day of Vishu or with Onam Sadya feast. I have prepared this curry with Raw Banana (Kaya in Malayalam) and Yam (Chena) but it can be done with other veggies like Ash gourd, Pumpkin, carrot, snake gourd too. Also, in some parts of Kerala, Bengal Gram(chana dal) is used, instead of Black Chana, but you can alter the ingredients as per your wish. But I can bet, raw banana, yam and black chana combo compliment a lot. It is had with rice, Kerala Sambar or Ulli Theeyal, along with Beans Mezhukupuratti and Kerala Nendran Chips. Finally, I have shared this Kootukari Recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video too. If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Kerala Visu Recipes like
- Kerala Parippu Curry
- Kerala Moru Curry / Moru Kachiyathu
- Ada Pradhaman
- Kerala Gothambu / Broken Wheat Payasam
Kootu Curry Kerala Style | Kootukari Recipe | Kootu Curry Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Raw Banana
- 1/2 Cup Yam
- 1 Cup Black Channa
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Jaggery (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Coconut
- 3/4 Cup Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Pepper Corns
- 4 Flakes Garlic
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Soak black chana in water for 8 hours or overnight. Then rinse well and pressure cook it for 3 whistles. Drain the water and keep by side. Chop raw banana and yam into medium sized pieces. Also, measure and keep all the ingredients by side.
- To a mixer, add the ingredients listed in the table 'To Grind'.
- Then grind it to a smooth paste by adding very little water. To a pan, pour 2 cups of water, add a little salt and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Once the water starts to roll boil, add the chopped raw banana and yam. Cook till soft, not mushy and keep it separately in a plate.
- To a pan, pour 1 tbsp of oil and add 1/4 cup of grated coconut. Roast it till golden colour but don't burn it, then keep aside.
- To another pan, add the raw banana, yam and black chana. Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, required salt (little only, as we have added already for cooking the veggies) and pour the grounded coconut paste.
- Sprinkle very little water, give a quick mix and cook covered for 5 minutes in low flame. To a small tadka pan, pour 2 tbsp of oil and temper with the ingredients given in the table 'To Temper'.
- Pour it over the curry and finally add the roasted coconut. This kootukari recipe should be thick in consistency and not like gravy.
Tips for Kootu Curry Recipe
- I used yam and raw banana, while you can try it with other veggies like ash gourd, carrot, pumpkin, snake gourd also.
- Use aged / old yam, otherwise, there will be an itching sensation in the tongue when eating.
- Black chana can be replaced with Chana Dal / Bengal Gram too for this Kootu Curry Recipe.
- Adjust green chilli, peppercorns and chilli powder as per spice level required for this Kootukari Recipe.
- Always cook the raw banana and yam till soft only, not mushy.
- Traditionally coconut oil is used for making this Kootu Curry Kerala Style, which lends an extraordinary aroma to the dish.
- Furthermore, tempering at last, helps to retain the flavour for a long time.
- Even 1 tsp of jaggery powder can be added at last, which enhances the taste of the curry, but it's optional only.
- Never miss adding roasted coconut finally, which is the main highlight of this curry.