Thoran Recipe is a simple, quick dry curry prepared with veggies like carrot, beans, spinach, drumstick, beetroot etc. Any Vishu or Onam Sadhya feast is incomplete without this thoran recipe in Kerala Cuisine. From chopping the veggie very finely, then tempering in coconut oil and the use of shallots are the main points to be noted here. I always pair it with Kerala Style Sambar or Ulli Theeyal or Moru Curry and enjoy the Kerala Cuisine to the fullest. I prepared this Cabbage Thoran Recipe, before 2 weeks and thought of sharing before the Vishu festival, but for the past 4 days, I completely out of Internet Access, tried many other ways to post it but really could not. But better late than never, am I right? Furthermore, I have shared this Kerala Style Cabbage Stir fry with a short YouTube video, If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Cabbage / Muttaikose Recipes like
Cabbage Thoran Recipe / Kerala Style Cabbage Stir Fry is a simple, quick dry curry prepared with cabbage tempered in coconut oil.
- 3 Cups Cabbage
- 4 Shallots
- 3 to 4 Green Chilli
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Jeera Powder
- Salt As Required
- 1/3 Cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
Chop the shallots and slit the green chilli. Then chop the cabbage very finely, I used my vegetable chopper. Also, measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
To the chopped cabbage, add the shallots, green chilli, turmeric powder, jeera powder, grated coconut and required salt.
Mix everything well and keep aside. Then, heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds, red chilli and curry leaves.
Now add the chopped cabbage with the other added ingredients. Sprinkle very little water and cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame. Ensure there is no moisture, the veggie should not become mushy but retain the crunchiness.
Tips for Cabbage Thoran Recipe
- Always chop or grate the cabbage very finely for this Cabbage Thoran Recipe. I used my vegetable chopper.
- Use shallots / small onions only for a good taste. Don't use regular onions.
- Adjust green chilli as per spice level required for this Kerala Style Cabbage Stir Fry.
- I suggest using coconut oil for tempering which lends a wonderful aroma to the dish.
- Cook the veggie till soft but not mushy. The veggie should retain its crunchiness.
- The same recipe can be done with carrot, beetroot, beans, drumstick, spinach too.