As Onam festival is nearing, today I am sharing the most important dish in Onam Sadhya Recipes. Every year we go to Sanjeevanam restaurant in Bangalore here to enjoy the Sadhya feast. When I saw this Kerala Parippu Curry Recipe in their menu, first I was wondering, it looks like the same dal that we would used to prepare in the South Indian cuisine. To say the truth I was a bit hesitant to taste it but due to my daughter’s compulsion, I tasted just a bit and it was totally different with divine taste. The addition of coconut and tempering with coconut oil, added shallots takes to the next level.
Checkout my other Onam recipes…..
1. Roasting moong dal is optional, but it lends extra aroma to the Kerala Parippu curry recipe.
2. Also pressure cook the dal for 4 to 5 whistles and mash well to get smooth texture.
3. Grind the coconut with very little water only and to a smooth paste not coarse.
4. One garlic pod can be grinded with coconut for more flavour. But if preparing for Onam Sadhya recipes garlic should not be used.
5. Tempering in coconut oil / ghee adds nice flavour, but regular oil can also be used.
6. This curry thickens with time, so adjust water accordingly.