Today’s post is Kathirikai Khara Kuzhambu Recipe / Hotel Style Kara Kuzhambu with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. This kuzhambu is served in most of the hotels in Tamilnadu, alongside with sambar, rasam and mor. It stays good for a week under refrigeration, if coconut is skipped. I just slit the brinjal slightly and cooked it whole, which adds an extra attraction to the gravy. It pairs well with carrot poriyal, arbi fry, raw banana fry …..
Kathirikai Khara Kuzhambu Recipe / Hotel Style Kara Kuzhambu is served in most of the hotels in Tamilnadu, alongside with sambar, rasam and mor. It stays good for a week under refrigeration, if coconut is skipped.
- 5 Shallots
- 8 Pods Garlic
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Small Lemon sized Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Sambar Powder Link for sambar powder
- Salt As Required
- 6 Brinjal
- 1 Small Jaggery piece
- 2 tsp Oil
- 5 Shallots
- 1 Tomato
- 1/4 Cup Coconut
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Methi Seeds
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- 1 Small Piece Thalippu Vadagam (optional) Link for Thalippu Vadagam
Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water for 20 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind, extract tamarind water and discard the pulp. Chop shallots, tomato and garlic finely. Measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
Peel the skin of shallots, chop tomato and coconut roughly for grinding. In a pan, pour 2 tsp of oil, add shallots, tomato and saute a little.
Switch off flame, add coconut bits and give a quick stir. Once it cools down, add the roasted ingredients to a mixer.
Pour 1 cup of water and grind it to a smooth paste. To a pan, pour oil and temper with the ingredients listed in the table 'To Temper'.
Then add shallots, garlic and saute till it turns translucent. Now add tomato and saute till mushy.
Pour tamarind water, once it starts to boil, add turmeric powder and salt.
Add sambar powder and mix well. Cook covered in low flame for 5 minutes.
The oil separates now. To another pan, pour 1 tbsp of oil, add the slit brinjal (it can be chopped into cubes) and few curry leaves for flavour. You can skip this step and add the brinjal, while sauteing onion itself.
Saute for 5 minutes in low flame, till the skin shrinks. Add the brinjal to the kuzhambu and give a boil for another 3 minutes. Finally add jaggery, mix well and switch off flame. Give a resting time for 1 hour and serve this kuzhambu.
Serve this hotel style kara kuzhambu with drumstick leaves poriyal.
Tips for Kathirikai Khara Kuzhambu Recipe
2. For longer shelf life, skip coconut in the grinding part.
4. Use shallots only, for this kathirikai khara kuzhambu recipe, for good taste.
5. Use sesame oil only, which gives a nice taste and add it generously.
6. If you have ‘Thalippu vadagam‘ in hand, don’t skip to add, it gives for more flavour.
7. Even drumstick can be used along with brinjal, which adds a different flavour to the kuzhambu.
8. Don’t skip to add jaggery at last, it enhances the taste of the gravy.