I am starting this New year with a simple yet delicious sweet recipe sugar candy pongal. It is comparatively easier to the usual chakkara pongal as there is no melting and filtering jaggery is needed here. In my home town Trichy, whenever we go to Thiruvanaikaval – Jambukeswarar Temple, we never miss to buy this pongal and I can bet they make the best one, it tastes so divine. But this version of kalkandu pongal recipe that I have shared here is also taste equally good. Ok, let’s go to the preparation.
Wish all my viewers a Happy and prosperous New Year 2018.
Kalkandu Pongal Recipe | Sugar Candy Pongal
- 1/2 Cup Raw Rice
- 2 tbsp Moong Dal
- 1/2 to 3/4 Cup Sugar Candy / Kalkandu
- 1.5 + 1/2 Cup Boiled Milk
- 3 tbsp Ghee Link for Homemade Ghee
- 10 Cashews
- 10 Raisins
- 2 Cardamom
- In a pan, add 1 tsp of ghee and roast moong dal till golden colour.
- Rinse the rice well. Then pressure cook rice and moong dal with 1.5 cup of milk for 4 to 5 whistles.
- To a dry mixer, add sugar candy and powder it.
- To the cooked rice, pour the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and add powdered sugar candy.
- Then mash the rice slightly and transfer it to a pan. Mix everything well and cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Now add ghee and give a stir. Fry cashews, raisins and cardamom in ghee till golden colour.
- Then add the fried cashews, raisins, cardamom and mix everything well. Switch off flame, when the pongal is in slight flowing consistency itself, as it thickens with time.Delicious sugar candy pongal is ready.
1. This kalkandu Pongal recipe can be prepared with rice alone, but with moong dal, it tastes too good.
2. Roasting moong dal is optional, but it adds a nice aroma to the sugar candy Pongal.
3. Rice can be pressure cooked with an equal quantity of milk and water also.
4. I used milk only for cooking rice, as it adds more creaminess to the sadam.
5. You can use the equal measurement of regular sugar and sugar candy also.
6. Sugar candy can be added directly to the cooked rice (step 5) and heat till it melts.
7. For more flavour, 1 pinch of nutmeg powder / edible camphor/saffron can also be used.
8. Use good quality ghee and don’t reduce the quantity as it lends softness and taste.