I am starting this New year with a simple yet delicious sweet recipe sugar candy pongal. It is comparatively easier to the usual chakkara pongal as there is no melting and filtering jaggery is needed here. In my home town Trichy, whenever we go to Thiruvanaikaval – Jambukeswarar Temple, we never miss to buy this pongal and I can bet they make the best one, it tastes so divine. But this version of kalkandu pongal recipe that I have shared here is also taste equally good. Ok, let’s go to the preparation.
Wish all my viewers a Happy and prosperous New Year 2018.
1. This kalkandu pongal recipe can be prepared with rice alone, but with moong dal it tastes too good.
2. Roasting moong dal is optional, but it adds nice aroma to the sugar candy pongal.
3. Rice can be pressure cooked with equal quantity of milk and water also.
4. I used milk only for cooking rice, as it adds more creaminess to the sadam.
5. You can use equal measurement of regular sugar and sugar candy also.
6. Sugar candy can be added directly to the cooked rice (step 5) and heat till it melts.
7. For more flavour, 1 pinch of nutmeg powder / edible camphor / saffron can also be used.
8. Use good quality ghee and don’t reduce the quantity as it lends softness and taste.