Kalakand is a very famous Indian milk cake made from solidified, sweetened milk and cottage cheese. Usually, the traditional kalakand recipe is done by simmering the milk for hours and it is a long procedure. But the method I have shared here is an instant one, which gets finished with 15 minutes. You can slice and make it in barfi style or scoop and have it like halwa also, it tastes too good in either way. I have shared this instant kalakand with step by step detailed pictures and a short YouTube video, do try this for the upcoming festivals like Raksha Bandhan, Janmashtami or Diwali.
This Instant Kalakand Recipe is a very famous Indian milk cake made from solidified, sweetened milk and cottage cheese, which gets finished with 15 minutes.
First, crumble the paneer with your hands or grate it using a grater. Don't grind it in a mixer and make it mushy. Then, measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
To a heavy bottomed pan or non - stick pan, add the crumbled paneer. Then immediately pour the condensed milk.
Stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes in low flame, the mixture gets burnt easily at this stage, so be little alert. It gets thicken very soon, switch off the flame. The mixture should not be watery or dry, there should be little moisture and it should be spreadable also. Add cardamom powder at this stage and mix well.
Grease a tray with little ghee and transfer the kalakand mixture to the tray.
Shake the tray a little or level it with a ladle. Sprinkle chopped nuts of your choice like almonds and pistachios. I used powdered pistachios.
Set aside for a minimum of 3 hours and cool it completely. Then draw lines with a knife to make it into pieces.
Try this Kalakand for festivals like Raksha Bandhan or Janmashtami.
- Tips for Instant Kalakand Recipe
- Don't grind the paneer in a mixer and make it mushy. Just crumble it with your hands or grate it using a grater.
- Use good quality paneer as the whole taste of the kalakand recipe comes from paneer. I used homemade paneer.
- Sugar was perfect for me if you are sweet tooth add 2 tbsp of sugar more.
- Even 2 tbsp of milk powder can be added, which thickens the instant kalakand soon and gives firmness also.
- Always use a heavy bottomed pan or non - stick pan only. Also, stir it continuously until it reaches the desired consistency to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Furthermore, the final kalakand mixture should not be watery or dry. Ensure there is moisture.
- When the kalakand mixture is spreadable itself, switch off the flame. Don't cook more else it becomes chewy.
- Furthermore, for more flavour, even 1 tsp of rose water can be added.
- Set aside the kalakand for a minimum of 3 hours and then cut it. Otherwise, refrigerate for few hours and then slice it. But bring it to room temperature before serving.