This Kaju Pista Roll Recipe / Kaju Roll Recipe is an Indian sweet delicacy made during festivals like Diwali / Holi or any special occasions. It is one of the most expensive sweets available in shops and it is also high in calorie. But once in a while we can relish it. The process of making it is also easy only and if we go wrong somewhere also, there are multiple ways to trouble shoot it. When preparing at home, it is cost effective also and we get a happy feeling when we complete it. Lets go to the recipe…
Wish you a happy and colourful Holi
Kaju Pista Roll Recipe | Kaju Roll Recipe
Preparation + cook time: 50 Mins | Makes : 15 to 18
For Pista dough
- Pistachios – 1/2 Cup
- Sugar – 1/4 cup (Powdered)
- Green Food colour – 2 Pinch
- Water – 1 tblsp
For Kaju / Cashew Dough
- Cashew Nuts – 1 Cup
- Sugar – 1/ 2 Cup
- Rose Water – 2 to 3 drops (optional)
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 2 tsp
1. First get ready with the ingredients for pista dough. Be sure there is no moisture content in the pista. This is important, else the pista’s become like a paste while grinding. Grind the pista’s in a mixer / blender into powder, just grind it in one stretch without stopping in between. Sieve the pista powder and add it to a mixing bowl. Then add powdered sugar to it.
2. Add food colour and mix it roughly. Add water little by little and knead the dough gently, else the pista’s start releasing oil. The dough should not be sticky. Cover it and keep by side.
3. For Kaju dough : Grind the cashews in a mixer into fine powder, also grind it one stretch. Sieve the cashew powder to avoid any chunks. In a non-stick pan, add water and sugar.
4. Once bubbles starts to appear, start stirring. Do everything on low flame, till one string consistency is reached. Don’t boil further, else the kaju roll turns hard. Now add cashew powder.
5. Mix well, till the sugar syrup and cashew powder incorporates well. Cook in low flame only, until the cashew paste leaves the sides of the pan and forms a whole mass. Add 1 tsp of ghee and if preferred add rose water at this stage. Switch off flame. Take a wooden board, place a butter paper over it. Transfer the cashew paste and drizzle little more ghee.
6. When the dough becomes warm, knead the dough gently until smooth. Also don’t over do it and knead it before it cools down. Divide the cashew and pista dough into two portions. First place the cashew dough over the butter paper and press it slightly.
7. Then cover it with another butter paper and roll the dough with a rolling pin, till slightly thick. Cut the rolled cashew dough into two halves. Now take the pista dough and roll it to a long log with your palms. Keep the pista log in the long corner of the rolled cashew.
8. Now start rolling it tightly. Cut it into two halves, as the logs will be too thick. In the same board roll each log to make it thin. It elongates and becomes smooth. Slice both the edges and cut the log into equal sized cylinders. Let it set for 2 hours to become firm.
Decorate it with silver leaves and saffron strands. Enjoy this kaju pista roll recipe for this holi.
1. Ensure both the cashew and pista are in room temperature, else it becomes a paste when grinding.
2. Don’t use cashew and pista directly from fridge, as it contains moisture when kept inside.
3. If you doubt there is moisture in the nuts, slightly dry roast it in a pan.
4. Always grind the cashew and pista in one stretch to get fine powder.
5. Also don’t grind for longer, else it becomes a paste.
6.Sieve both the cashew and pista powder for smooth dough.
7. If the powder is little coarse when grinding it’s ok, as we sieve it and becomes smooth while kneading.
8. Use a non-stick pan / thick bottomed pan to avoid burning and easy cooking.
9. One string consistency is very important. Don’t boil further than one string consistency, otherwise kaju dough becomes hard.
10. If the kaju dough becomes hard, add 2 tblsp of water and reheat again in low flame.
11. Also don’t knead both the dough hardly, else it starts releasing oil.
12. If the dough becomes dry, sprinkle little milk and knead it again. But milk reduces the shelf life.
13. Always knead the dough when it is warm itself, else it will be difficult to roll.
14. Pista can skipped and it can be made as kaju roll recipe only.
15. Shelf life of this kaju pista roll recipe is 4 to 5 days.
Please note that the silver leaves used in my recipe is purely a vegetarian. As I am strict vegetarian I do take care of all these tips while preparing my recipes and do not deviate my viewers. I used this silver leaves to give my pics a better look. It is not a non veg and can be consumed without fear by vegetarians.
Anu - My Ginger Garlic Kitchen
Wow! This kaju pista roll looks so pretty and perfectly crafted. A perfect dessert for Holi.
yummy sweet. Looks so tempting !
Looks pretty good. Thanks
Your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you very much.
Ria Raichu Samuel
The kaju pista rolls just look like the store brought ones. It is a wonderful recipe to share.
Omg! Such a royal delight. Give me a handshake Priya.
they are just perfect for the occasion…