Is there should be any festive occasions to taste this most famous Indian sweet? not at all. Usually it is prepared during Diwali, Navratri, Raksha bandhan and given as gift pack to others to celebrate the festivals. I can bet that this is the most easiest sweet with very few ingredients, without loads of ghee and very less effort. The most easiest sweet but the costliest ones in shops. I have prepared this kaju katli recipe / kaju barfi recipe so many times, as it’s my daughter’s favourite and it’s always a foolproof recipe for me without any flops. Before trying the recipe, please read the tips carefully and go ahead. Try this sweet for your loved ones during this weekend and have a great time.
Please note that the silver leaves used in my recipe is purely a vegetarian. As I am strict vegetarian I do take care of all these tips while preparing my recipes and do not deviate my viewers. I used this silver leaves to give my pics a better look. It is not a non veg and can be consumed without fear by vegetarians.
1. Ensure the cashew is in room temperature, or else it will become a paste when grinding.
2. If you doubt there is moisture in the cashew, slightly dry roast it for few seconds.
3. Don’t use the cashews taken directly from fridge, bring it to room temperature and then use it.
4. Grind the cashews in one stretch and don’t grind for longer, else it become like paste.
5. Use a non-stick pan to avoid burning and easy cooking.
6. One string consistency is very important. Don’t boil the sugar syrup more than that, else the kaju sweet becomes hard and chewy.
7. After adding cashew powder, don’t overcook and make it dry, else the sweet turns brittle.
8. Don’t knead the dough hardly, otherwise it starts releasing oil and will be hard to cut it.
9. If the dough becomes dry when kneading, sprinkle few drops of milk and knead again. But milk reduces the shelf life of this kaju barfi recipe.
10. Also knead the dough when it is warm itself, else it cannot be rolled and shaped.
11. Instead of saffron essence, dry roast few strands of saffron and add to cashew while grinding.
12. Instead of butter paper, ziplock cover / plastic sheet can be used. It will be more easier to remove the barfi.
13. Shelf life of this kaju katli recipe is 3 to 4 days outside and 10 days inside refrigerator.