Peanuts are usually called as poor men’s cashews or almonds. It is a very easy sweet / snack made with just two main ingredients.Though I have eaten it so many times, from my childhood days this is the first time I am trying my hands on this kadalai urundai recipe. If rolled into balls it’s kadalai urundai. But if poured in a tray and cut into squares, it is called kadalai mittai. In Tamilnadu, Kovilpatti is very famous for kadalai mittai. It is said 2 or 3 varieties of jaggery is used along with sugar, liquid glucose and vanilla essence with colorful dried coconut shreds on top. As karthigai deepam is nearing, I thought of sharing this recipe. Do try this and let me know your feedback.
1. Adjust jaggery as per your sweetness.
2. Roast peanuts for more time to get crispy kadalai mittai. But don’t burn it.
3. Cardamom powder can be replaced with dry ginger powder / sukku .
4. Jaggery syrup consistency is very important for this kadalai urundai recipe. Syrup should be firm that it can be rolled into a ball.
5. Also powdered sugar, rice flour can be greased in your hands while rolling. Else cold water can also be used.
6. If it cools, it cannot be rolled, so do the rolling quickly.
7. If the mixture cools or harden, just heat it 2 to 3 minutes in low flame. The jaggery melts and loosen, so that it can be easily rolled.
8. This mixture can be poured into a tray, greased with ghee and cut into squares. This is kadalai mittai.
9. Stays good and cruncy for about 10 days.