How To Make Jeera Rice, is today’s blog post. It’s so simple, flavoured packed and a perfect one pot dish for working women and kids who are fussy to eat veggies will surely like it. Any paneer recipes like paneer butter masala, kadai paneer or chilli paneer make a perfect side dish. The cooking process can be completed within 25 minutes and it is not that tough unlike the preparation of biryani. The name is derived from the Hindi – Urdu Word Zeera / Jeera which is called cumin seeds. Also, I have shared this Jeera Rice Recipe with step by step pics, a short youtube video and if you like it, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Jeera Rice Recipe / How to make Jeera rice is so simple, flavoured packed and perfect one pot dish for working women and kids who are fussy to eat veggies.
- 1.5 Cup Basmati Rice / பாஸ்மதி அரிசி
- 3 Cups Water / தண்ணீர்
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- Coriander Leaves / கொத்தமல்லி இலை For garnishing
- 1.5 tbsp Ghee / நெய் Link for homemade ghee
- 2 tsp Jeera / ஜீரகம்
- 2 Bay Leaves / பிரிஞ்சியிலை
- 1 Large Cinnamon / பட்டை
- 4 Cloves / கிராம்பு
- 4 Cardamon / ஏலக்காய்
- 1 Small Piece Mace / Nutmeg / சாதிக்காய்
- 2 Green Chilli / பச்சைமிளகாய்
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Chop coriander leaves and slit the green chillies. Then soak the basmati rice in water for a minimum time of 1/2 an hour. Then rinse the rice well and drain the water completely.
- To a heavy bottomed pan or pressure pan, pour the ghee and add the cumin seeds/jeera. Once it starts to splutter, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and green chillies.
- Once nice smell wafts, add a pinch of mace powder or a small piece of mace. Now add the drained rice and saute for 2 mins in low flame, so the flavours get infused well.
- Pour 3 cups of water and add required salt. Mix everything well, simmer the flame and cook covered for about 7 to 8 minutes. You can also pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles. Just give a gentle mix in the middle, so it doesn't get burnt at the bottom.
- Just mash a rice grain between your fingers to ensure it is properly cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame. After 5 minutes fluff it up with a fork.
Serve this Jeera Rice Recipe with Rajma Masala.
Tips for Jeera Rice Recipe
- Instead of basmati rice, Jeeraga Samba or regular Sona Masoori rice can also be used.
- Any leftover basmati rice can also be used, you can just do the tempering only and mix the rice. No cooking is needed.
- Soaking the rice is very important, as it helps to get soft and separate rice grains.
- You can even use onions and cashews when tempering, which lends a different taste.
- Also, don't burn the jeera/ cumin seeds while tempering, else the rice smells bad.
- Adjust green chilli as per spice level required for this Jeera Rice Recipe.
- Tempering in ghee adds a nice flavour but if worried about calories oil can also be used.
- Don’t pour more water than mentioned as it turns the rice mushy.
- This rice can also be pressure cooked for 2 whistles.