Aloo Jeera recipe is one of the best vrat / fasting recipes as no onion or garlic is used here. It is also the easiest bachelor recipe, as it is prepared with minimal ingredients and effort. It is a perfect side dish with poori, chapati, phulka and dal tadka. This year Navratri falls from October 10 – October 18, so I will be sharing some related recipes hereafter. If interested, click this link for a huge collection of Navratri recipes that I have shared in my blog Also, I have added a short YouTube video for this Jeera Aloo Recipe for easy understanding, do watch it and please don’t forget to subscribe to my channel too…
Aloo Jeera recipe / Jeera Aloo Recipe is one of the best vrat / fasting recipes as no onion or garlic is used and is prepared with minimal ingredients.
- 1/2 Kg Potato / உருளைக்கிழங்கு
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள்தூள்
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder / மிளகாய்த்தூள்
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder / தனியாதூள்
- 1/2 tsp Jeera Powder / ஜீரகத்தூள்
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice / எலுமிச்சைச்சாறு
- Coriander Leaves / கொத்தமல்லித்தழை (For garnishing)
- 1.5 tbsp Oil / எண்ணெய்
- 1 tsp Jeera / ஜீரகம்
- 1/2 tsp Ginger / இஞ்சி
- 2 Green Chilli / பச்சைமிளகாய்
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing / பெருங்காயத்தூள்
- Chop green chilli and ginger finely. Then, pressure cook potatoes for 2 whistles in enough water. Peel the skin and chop it into bite-sized pieces. I used baby potatoes, so didn't chop it.
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera and let nice smell wafts. Then add green chilli, ginger, hing and fry in low flame for few seconds.
- Simmer the flame to the lowest, then add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Fry the spice powders in the oil, till the raw smell leaves and ensure not to burn it. I pricked the baby potatoes with a fork, so it absorbs the masala powders well (this step is optional).
- Now add the potatoes, jeera powder and required salt. Mix everything well.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes in low flame by stirring gently in the middle. Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Finally, squeeze lemon juice and give a gentle toss.
Serve this Aloo Jeera Recipe with vegetable pulao.
Tips for Jeera Aloo Recipe
- I used baby potato, you can use regular potato or sweet potato too.
- Pressure cook the potato for 2 whistles only not more, else it becomes mushy.
- You can also chop the potatoes into small pieces and directly fry it in the oil, without pressure cooking.
- If preparing for vrat / fast use ghee or peanut oil for making this aloo jeera recipe.
- Always fry the jeera and spice powders in low flame only, if it gets burnt, the whole taste gets spoiled.
- Adding ginger is optional, but it adds a nice flavour and helps in digestion.
- Adjust green chilli and chilli powder as per spiciness required for this jeera aloo recipe.
- For a different flavour and extra spiciness, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder can be used.
- Lemon juice can be replaced with 1/2 tsp of amchur powder too.
- Always switch off the flame and then squeeze the lemon juice, else the potatoes taste bitter.