Javvarisi Semiya Payasam Recipe / Vermicelli Sago Kheer Recipe with step by step pics, it is a mandatory one in my home for all festive occasions. Though I have prepared this payasam so many times on festive days, I don’t have a chance to click it, as I will be too busy with the other Pooja preparations. But this time, I made on weekends, clicked patiently and even relished every spoon of the payasam without any hurry. As Sago / Sabudana / Saggubiyam / Javvarisi is high in Carbohydrate, it is an instant energy booster on Vrat days. I have already shared Sago Kheer, vermicelli Kheer too, if interested check it. Finally, I have shared this recipe with a short YouTube video, If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Interesting Recipes like
Javvarisi Semiya Payasam Recipe / Vermicelli Sago Kheer Recipe is mandatory for all festive occasions and is an instant energy booster on Vrat days.
- 1/2 Cup Vermicelli
- 1/4 Cup Sago
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tbsp Ghee Link for homemade ghee
- 10 Cashews
- 10 Raisins
- 4 Cardamom
- Soak sago in normal water for 1 hour or in hot water for 1/2 an hour (if you want to make it quickly). Then measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Roast the vermicelli in a pan with 1/2 tsp of ghee till golden colour, I used pre-roasted vermicelli, so skipped this step.
- In two separate pans, roll boil 1 cup of water. Then add the vermicelli and sago to the boiling water. Cook till the vermicelli and sago turn soft, not mushy. The cooking time varies for the vermicelli and sago, so it is better to cook separately.
- Drain the water and keep aside. In a pan, pour 1 tbsp of ghee, then add cashews, raisins and fry till golden colour.
- To a heavy bottomed pan, pour the milk and water. Boil for 5 minutes, till it thickens a little. Then add sugar and stir for another 2 minutes, till it dissolves completely.
- Now add the cooked sago and vermicelli. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes in low flame, till it blends well with the milk and turns little creamy. Finally, garnish with roasted cashew and raisins. Switch off the flame when it is in the flowing consistency itself, as it thickens with time.
- Serve this Javvarisi Semiya Payasam Recipe either hot or cold.
Tips for Javvarisi Semiya Payasam Recipe
1. Roasting the vermicelli in ghee is a must, but don't burn it. I used pre-roasted vermicelli, so skipped it.
2. You can alter the sago and vermicelli ratio, as per your wish, either 1/4:1/2 cup or 1/2:1/4 cup.
3. Always soak the sago in water for a minimum time of 1 hour, so it gets cooked easily. If you want to quicken the process, soak it in hot water for 1/2 an hour.
4. Also, cook the sago and vermicelli separately, as the cooking time varies for both.
5. Ensure the sago and vermicelli are cooked till soft but not mushy, before adding to the milk.
6. Adjust sugar as per sweetness preferred for this Javvarisi Semiya Payasam Recipe.
7. For more taste and creaminess, 2 tbsp of condensed milk can be added. But reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup.
8. For a healthy version, sugar can be replaced with the same quantity of jaggery too.
9. Furthermore, few strands of saffron can be soaked in little warm milk and added at last.
10. This Vermicelli Sago Kheer Recipe thickens with time, so adjust with warm milk before serving.