How to make rava dosa is a very simple recipe with minimal ingredients but a nightmare to most of us, as we don’t get the lacy and porous texture like restaurant ones. There is no such hidden secrecy in the recipe, the only tricky part that has to be noted here is the batter consistency and the tawa should be extra hot before making the dosa. I had been hooked to this recipe for the past 3 to 4 years, and whenever I run out of idli batter, I immediately prepare this Instant Onion rava dosa recipe as it doesn’t require soaking, grinding or fermenting process. Undoubtedly, it goes very well with hotel sambar, coconut chutney, kara chutney etc.
Checkout youtube video below with step wise instructions
1. Water can be replaced with thin butter milk, it gives more taste to the instant onion rava dosa recipe.
2. For healthy version, maida can be skipped and done with rava and rice flour only.
3. How to make rava dosa batter consistency is very important :
a. The batter should be mixed well without any lumps.
b. The batter should be free flowing and in pouring consistency like buttermilk.
c. If the dosa turns dense, add little more water to get crispy dosa.
d. The batter settles down, so mix well every time before making dosa.
4. The tawa should be very hot, else the dosa sticks to the tawa.
5. Always pour the batter from the edge to center, also don’t spread the batter with the ladle.
6. There should be holes in the dosa, it helps steam to escape and yields crispy dosa.
7. Oil should be drizzled generously to get crispy dosa.
8. Ghee can be used for more flavour and to get golden colour.
9. Usually this dosa takes long time to get crispier and it should be cooked in very low flame.
10. This batter can be refrigerated and used for 2 to 3 days.