This Upma with Leftover Idlis post is with step by step pictures and a short YouTube Video is a great idea to use leftover idlis (click here for Soft Idli Recipe) without wasting the food. The total preparation gets finished within 15 mins and there are no fancy ingredients in the dish. I really wonder how a simple tempering, adds so much taste and flavour to this idli upma recipe, believe me, once you try it on your own, you trust my words. I have already shared, other upma recipes like sooji upma, Vermicelli upma, Broken wheat upma….if interested do check it.
Idli Upma Recipe | Upma with Leftover Idlis
- 6 Idli Link for idli
- 10 Small Onion / Shallots
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 2 Green Chilli
- Salt As Required
- Coriander Leaves (For garnishing)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- Few Sprig Curry Leaves
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients. Then chop shallots, green chilli, ginger and coriander leaves finely.
- Place the idlis in a wide bowl, and crumble it. Ensure the idli is without any moisture, leftover idli works best. You can also break the idlis roughly, transfer it to a mixer and grind it in whip mode once.
- Heat oil in a pan, and temper with the ingredients given in the table 'To Temper'.
- Sprinkle hing generously and add shallots.
- Add, ginger, green chilli and saute for a while, till onions turn translucent.
- Add salt only for onion, as crumbled idli has added salt in it.
- Now add the crumbled idli and mix everything well.
- Cook covered in low flame for 2 minutes and finally garnish with coriander leaves.Serve this idli upma recipe with tomato chutney.
Tips for Upma with Leftover Idlis
2. If using refrigerated idli's, bring it to room temperature and then use it.
3. For more flavour, coconut oil can be used for tempering for this idli upma recipe.
4. I used shallots which gives a very nice taste, but regular onion can also be used.
5. To make it more colourful and healthy, finely chopped veggies like carrot, beans, peas etc can be added. But I mostly make it plain, as the veggies leave moisture and make the upma soggy.
6. If preferred, 2 pinches of turmeric powder can be used to get a yellow coloured upma.
7. Even 2 tbsp of roasted peanuts or cashews can be added, for crunchiness.
8. For more taste, 2 tbsp of grated coconut can be used at the end.
9. For a tangy taste, drizzle few drops of lemon juice at last. But switch off the flame and then add it, else it taste bitter.
10. If you want it more on the spicier side, sprinkle 1 tbsp of idli podi towards the end.
Method for Idli Upma Recipe
2. Place the idlis in a wide bowl, and crumble it. Ensure the idli is without any moisture, leftover idli works best. You can also break the idlis roughly, transfer it to a mixer and grind it in whip mode once.
3. Heat oil in a pan, and temper with the ingredients given in the table ‘To Temper‘.
4. Sprinkle hing generously and add shallots.
5. Add, ginger, green chilli and saute for a while, till onions turn translucent.
6. Add salt only for onion, as crumbled idli has added salt in it.
7. Now add the crumbled idli and mix everything well.
8. Cook covered in low flame for 2 minutes and finally garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve this idli upma recipe with tomato chutney.