I think no intro is needed for this world famous Hyderabadi Dum Biryani. It is considered as the royal food of Hyderabad nizams and it is a fusion of Mughalai and Iranian cuisine. Don’t let back by just peeping into the ingredients list, I have shared the detailed step by step pictures for preparing this Hyderabadi Veg Dum Biryani recipe. The time consuming part is the dum process but it gives an exotic and unique flavour to the dish. The variety of Indian spices, generous amount of ghee, fried onions and the dum process used here gives an irresistible aroma and takes you to the festive mood.
Happy Ramzan to everyone
Checkout youtube video below with step wise instructions
1. Use good quality and aged basmati rice for long rice grains, I used India Gate basmati rice.
2. Soaking rice for 30 mins is important, as it helps in even cooking and gives firm/separate grains.
3. Don’t cook the rice completely, it should be parboiled , cook till 3/4th only.
4. Fried onions is a must ingredient, as it gives a special flavour for this Hyderabadi veg dum biryani recipe .
5. Shahi Jeera, caraway seeds, mace can also be used in gravy for more flavour.
6. Chop the veggies little bigger, as it don’t turn mushy while cooking, also half cook the veggies only.
7. Veggies can be pressure cooked for 1 whistle.
7. Adjust green chilli and chilli powder as per spice level preferred.
8. Add salt for rice and gravy separately.
9. If you don’t prefer lemon juice, it can be replaced with 1 tomato while making gravy.
10. Do the dum process in low flame only for this Hyderabadi dum biryani.
11. Use ghee/oil generously to prevent the rice from burning during dum process.
12. Instead of aluminium foil, dough/moist white cloth can be used for sealing the pot.
13. Always give a resting time of minimum 10 mins before serving, so the flavours get infused well.