How to make potato chips at home / Potato chips recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. I have made this potato chips so many times in my kitchen, but never thought of making it as a post, till my daughter insisted. I usually make it for get togethers, for my kids class party and sometimes as a sidedish for sambar or variety rice too, if I run out of veggies or not in a mood to prepare anything elaborated. The main secret to make crispy chips is to properly rinse the potato slices to remove the starch content, which yields white coloured and crispy chips. I suggest to use, red potato covered with mud, also known as ‘Chips Potato‘, not the regular cream coloured potato. However, if you don’t have chips potato in hand, go ahead with the regular ones, but you have to keep it immersed in water for minimum 1 hour to get crispier chips. Read the recipe till the end, so it will be easy to understand….
Checkout my youtube video for this recipe
This post is about How to make potato chips at home / Potato chips recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. I usually make it for get togethers, for my kids class party and sometimes as a sidedish for sambar or variety rice too.
- 3 Medium Potato
- 3 Cups Ice Water
- Oil For Deep Frying
- Salt As Required
- Pepper Powder As Required
First, peel the skin of potato and rinse well. Keep immersed in water, till use to avoid de-colouration.
Next slice the potato using a slicer and rinse again.
Keep the sliced potato immersed in ice water for 20 minutes. This step helps to remove the starch content in the potato and yields crispy chips. Drain the water completely and spread the potato slices in a kitchen cloth. Dry it for 20 minutes (keep it under a fan). Ensure there is no water content in the potato slices.
Heat oil in a pan / kadai, drop 1 potato slice in the oil, if it raises immediately, the oil temperature is perfect for frying. Drop the slices in the oil, one by one. Don't overcrowd the oil, fry it batches only. Fry well on both sides, once the shhhhh sound ceases, take the chips out of the oil and drain it in the kitchen towel.
Finally sprinkle with salt, pepper powder and toss it well. Store it in an airtight container.
Enjoy this potato chips with muskmelon juice.
Tips on How to make Potato chips at home
2. Furthermore, use a sharp slicer, to get thin and crispy potato chips recipe.
3. Keep the potato immersed in water till use to avoid decolouration.
4. Always rinse the potato slices for 2 to 3 times, to avoid browning.
5. Immersing the potato slices in ice water, helps to remove the starch content and lends crispy chips.
6. If using regular potato, keep immersed in water for minimum 1 hour.
7. Always dry the potato slices well and ensure there is no water content, otherwise the chips turns soggy.
8. Adjust oil temperature from high to medium, not low. The oil should not fume at any stage.
9. Adjust pepper powder as per spice level required. However, it can be replaced with chilli powder or tossed with salt alone.
10. Shelf life of this chips is 10 days, when stored in an airtight container or ziplock cover.