Today’s post is about Gulab Jamun Recipe / Gulab Jamun with milk powder which is a very famous dessert known to everyone and doesn’t need any introduction. Until last year, I used to buy ready made mixes from stores to prepare jamuns and it is quiet expensive too. It was my long time wish to prepare it from scratch. I was not satisfied with my first trail, as I made some mistakes in proportion, but the second time, I made some changes and got it right. Usually gulab jamuns are prepared with khoya but this recipe calls for milk powder which is easily available everywhere.
1. Don’t use sour curd, fresh curd works best for this Gulab Jamun recipe. It gives softness to the Jamuns.
2. Don’t add maida more, it will turn the jamuns hard.
3. Never knead the dough tightly, else it make the jamuns dense and hard.
4. Ghee can also be used for frying jamuns,which adds nice flavour.
5. If the dough is too sticky, add 2 tsp of maida for binding.
6. If the balls cracks while rolling, add 1 tsp of curd / milk to avoid dryness.
7. To check the oil temperature, drop a small pinch of dough in oil, if it raises immediately the oil temperature is perfect.
8. Always fry the jamuns in medium flame, otherwise it would have not cooked inside and gets burnt outside very soon.
9. Sugar syrup should be warm, while adding jamuns. It should not be too hot else the jamuns will shrinks.
10. Addition of rose essence and saffron is optional, but it lends excellent aroma to the gulab jamun with milk powder.