Green Peas Sundal Recipe or Pachai Pattani Sundal is a very healthy and simple sundal. As Navaratri / Dussera is celebrated for 9 days, usually different types of sundal is prepared on each day as prasadham. This post was lying in my draft for a long time, so thought of adding it to a part of Navaratri Recipes. I made a spicy version, if you are bored of regular sundal, you can give a try to this spicy green peas sundal.
- 1 Cup Dry Green Peas
- Salt As Required
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 Pinch Hing (Generously)
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1.5 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander Seeds / Powder
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 2 to 3 Red Chilli
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
Soak dry green peas in water, overnight or for atleast 8 hours. Pressure cook with water and salt for 3 whistles. Drain the water. Heat a pan and dry roast with all the ingredients (except coconut) given in the table 'To Roast and Grind'. Switch off flame.
Now add grated coconut and give a quick stir. Cool down and grind it in a mixture to a coarse or smooth powder.
Heat oil in a kadai and temper with the ingredient given in the table 'To Temper'. Now add the cooked green peas, salt and stir well.
Now add the grinded spice powder and cook in low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
Tasty green peas sundal is ready, serve it hot.
1. Adjust red chilli according to your spice level to this Green Peas Sundal Recipe.
2. Red chilli’s can be replaced with green chilli’s while grinding.
3. Add hing and curry leaves generously which gives nice flavour to this Pachai Pattani Sundal.
4. Addition of salt while pressure cooking prevents the green peas from overcooked or becoming mushy.