Almost Green peas season has come to an end! Then, why not a post using this vibrant and fresh peas. So here is the most simple and delicious green peas gravy recipe / green peas kurma recipe with step by step pictures. But I tried this korma, when the green peas season started and this recipe was in my drafts for a long due, so pushed myself to post it at least before the season ends. When in season, I buy green peas in bulk and make my own homemade frozen peas, if interested check that link to know the procedure. Not only with chapati, it pairs up well with idli, dosa and idiyappam too…
Find my other Sidedish Recipes like
1. Veg Parotta Salna
2. Veg Korma
3. Palak Paneer
4. Potato Sagu
- 1 Cup Green Peas
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt As Required
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 10 Cashews
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coconut
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 Piece Cinnamon
- Black Stone Flower / Kalpasi
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
I used homemade frozen peas, so used directly. If using fresh peas, pressure cook it for 1 whistle and then use it. Then measure and keep all the ingredients by side.
Chop onion, tomato and coconut pieces roughly for grinding.
Pour 2 tsp of oil in a pan, and add the ingredients listed in the table 'For grinding'. Saute everything till the raw smell leaves. Allow it to cool down.
Transfer it to a mixer and grind it to a smooth paste, by adding little water (1/2 cup).
Heat oil in a pan and temper with the ingredients given in the table 'To temper'. Then pour the grounded onion - tomato paste. Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder.
Add required salt and mix everything well. Cook covered for 5 to 6 minutes in low flame.
Once the oil separates, add green peas and little sugar. Just give a boil for another 2 minutes, till the gravy and peas blends well. Switch off flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve green peas kurma recipe with instant ragi dosa.
1. I used homemade frozen peas, so used directly. If using fresh peas, pressure cook for 1 whistle and then use it. Also don’t give more whistles, else peas becomes mushy.
2. Dried green peas can also be used. Soak for minimum 6 hours, pressure cook for 3 whistles and then proceed. But this green peas kurma recipe tastes good with fresh or frozen peas.
3. You can also add 1 tsp of poppy seeds / khus khus while grinding, for more taste.
4. Cashews add rich taste and flavour to the green peas gravy recipe, but it can be skipped too.
5. I used ginger – garlic paste to simplify the work. But you can grind, 1″ ginger and 3 pods of garlic for fresh flavour.
6. Don’t skip black stone flower in tempering, as it lends the maximum flavour to the gravy.
7. Even few mint leaves can be added while tempering for nice aroma.
8. Instead of chilli powder, 3 to 4 green chilli can be used. Also adjust spice level as required.
9. Don’t skip sugar at last (after adding peas) as it helps to retain the green colour of the peas and it lends nice taste to the korma also.