Today I have shared a simple post Garlic Podi Recipe / Poondu Idli Podi Recipe with step by step pics. I have another version of Idli Podi in my space, but this one with addition of garlic is more flavourful and much cheaper than ready made packets. It’s always a perfect and tasty accompaniment for idli and dosa. Though I prepare chutney for breakfast, this podi is a must side dish in my family, I think this would be the regular scene in most of your homes also. This podi stays good for 2 months and if you want to prepare in large quantity, just double or triple the ingredients. I usually add this podi, to the regular poriyal / stir fry to make it more tastier.
1. Adjust red chilli as per spice level preferred for this garlic podi recipe.
2. For bright and vibrant red colour, use kashmiri chilli.
3. Always roast red chilli with dal for even roasting, if roasted alone it gets burnt.
4. If preferred you can use the garlic with skin, it also gives nice texture and look. But I peeled the skin.
5. Use small garlic as it gives more flavour, large garlic (malai poondu) will be easy to peel, but less flavourful.
6. Roast garlic till crispy not soggy, else it turns into a paste while grinding.
7. If the podi turns into paste, dry roast it in a pan on low flame, then grind it again and cool it.
8. For extra flavour, few curry leaves can be added to this poondu idli podi recipe.
9. Do the whole process in low flame to avoid burning, else the podi taste bitter.
10. The colour of the podi depends on the type of chilli used.
11. Shelf life of this podi is 2 months when stored in a clean and dry container.