Today I have come up with a most refreshing and aromatic filter coffee post, apt for the lazy mornings. Though I have shared more than 150 posts, this South Indian filter coffee recipe is my most favourite among all. I myself don’t know how I missed this recipe and I can say it’s a very delayed share. May be approximately, when I was 10 years old, it was the first time I tasted coffee. Till today I couldn’t stop drinking coffee, at least 2 times a day that too before 7 am in the busy mornings also. If I am not able to drink it in my prime time, I feel like my head is going to burst, daily ritual should be done in the right time for me. It can also be called as filter kaapi, degree coffee also, preparing perfect filter coffee comes by practice, but its not a big job. For beginners, please read the tips section before hopping to the recipe….
1. Use good quality coffee powder as the taste of this filter coffee completely depends on the coffee powder used. I used freshly ground coffee powder.
2. To get rid of blocks in the filter:
a. Pierce it with a pin at least twice in a week.
b. Dip the filter in roll boiling water for 2 minutes.
c. Show the filter in direct flame for 2 seconds.
3. If the decotion is not collected down properly, gently tap the sides of the filter.
4. Don’t add more water to the coffee powder (filter) else the decotion will be thin.
5. Addition of sugar when brewing helps to get thick decotion
6. Always make fresh decotion for good taste. But you can store the decotion covered in fridge for a day with little added sugar, so the aroma of the decotion will be locked.
7. Never re-heat the decotion, in case needed place it in hot water for few minutes.
8. You can take 2nd decotion by adding little water, once the 1st is taken and used. But the 2nd decotion wont be strong and aromatic.
9. Also use fresh and full cream milk, don’t use already boiled milk (re-heated milk) for this South Indian filter coffee recipe.
10. In case of re-heating milk, use double boiling method.
11. Don’t re-heat the coffee, as it wont taste good, it should be drinked immediately.
12. Also don’t add more sugar to the coffee than mentioned, as sugar subsides the flavour. The coffee should be slightly bitter.
13. Coffee filter is available in different sizes, choose accordingly as per need.
14. Instead of coffee filter, electric coffee maker can be used to brew decotion.