A very simple and a basic cake recipe with step by step photos, detailed instructions and lots of tips and variation. If you are newbie or interested in baking, then you should definitely try this eggless vanilla cake recipe as it is the first level in baking. It is an eggless, butterless version without condensed milk also, just curd and baking soda reacts with one another and lends so pillowy soft spongy cakes. If you master in this eggless sponge cake recipe, then you can prepare any type of cake in a breeze…..
Eggless Sponge Cake Recipe / Eggless Vanilla Cake is an eggless, butterless version without condensed milk also, just curd & baking soda is enough.
- 1.5 Cup Maida / All purpose Flour
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Sugar
- 1.25 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Cup Curd
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Essence
First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
To a dry mixer, add sugar and powder it (if you have powdered sugar in hand already, use the same). To a wide bowl, pour the curd.
Then add powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt to it. Mix it well.
Curd and baking soda reacts with each other and now you can see bubbles rising on top. Set the batter aside for 5 minutes only. Then pour oil and vanilla essence to the batter.
Add sieved maida slowly and then start folding the mixture without any lumps. By the mean time pre-heat the oven for 15 minutes.
Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over. Select a suitable size tray as the cake doubles in size. Now pour the cake batter to the tray, then shake a little, so that the air bubble release. Place the tray in the oven in baking mode and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 180c or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once cooled, invert the tray on a plate and gently tap to remove the cake.
Slice eggless sponge cake into pieces and enjoy during tea time.
1. Sieving All Purpose Flour / Maida is important to avoid lumps and for even mixing.
2. Baking powder cannot be substituted with baking soda, both are different.
3. Ensure baking powder and baking soda is within the expiry date ,else the cake don’t raise or turns spongy.
4. Don’t use sour curd and also don’t reduce the quantity, as it lends sponginess to the eggless vanilla cake.
5. Use any neutral / flavourless oil only ,else the cake smells different.
6. After adding baking powder and baking soda to the curd (step 4), don’t give more than 5 minutes sitting time.
7. Once you prepare the batter ,bake it immediately else the baking powder deactivate and the cake wont raise.
8. Also don’t over mix the batter, otherwise the cake becomes hard.
9. Always choose the correct sized baking tray, else while baking itself the cake over flows. To avoid this fill the batter only, to 1/2 of the tray.
10. If the cake doesn’t gets baked in the center, cover the tray with an aluminium foil / butter paper and bake for another 10 minutes.
11. For even golden coloured top layer ,brush the cake with little milk before 10 minutes and bake it again.
12. Shelf life of this eggless sponge cake recipe is 3 to 4 days and the same batter can be used to prepare vanilla cupcakes.