Eggless Sponge Cake Recipe / Eggless Vanilla Cake with step by step photos, detailed instructions, and lots of tips and variations. If you are a newbie or interested in baking, then you should definitely try this cake as it is the first level in baking. It is an eggless, butterless version without condensed milk also, just curd and baking soda reacts with each other and lends such a pillowy soft spongy cake. If you master this sponge cake, then you can prepare any type of cake in a breeze….. I have shared similar cake recipes like Butter Cake, Mango Sponge Cake, Orange Sponge Cake too, please click the link if interested
Eggless Sponge Cake Recipe | Eggless Vanilla Cake
1 Cup = 250 ML, 1 tsp = 5 ML
- 1½ Cup Maida / All purpose Flour (180 Grams)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar (120 Gram)
- 1¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Cup Curd (250 ML)
- ½ Cup Oil (125 ML)
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
- To a dry mixer, add sugar and powder it (if you have powdered sugar in hand already, use the same). To a wide bowl, pour the curd.
- Then add powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt to it. Mix it well.
- Rest it for 5 minutes only. Curd and baking soda react with each other and now you can see bubbles rising on top. Then pour oil and vanilla essence into the mixture.
- Add sieved maida slowly and then start folding the mixture without any lumps. By the mean time pre-heat the oven for 15 minutes.
- Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over. Select a suitable size tray as the cake doubles in size. Now pour the cake batter to the tray, then shake a little, so that the air bubble release. Place the tray in the oven in baking mode and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 180c or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once cooled, invert the tray on a plate and gently tap to remove the cake.Slice eggless sponge cake into pieces and enjoy during tea time.
Tips for Eggless Vanilla Cake
- Sifting the All Purpose Flour / Maida is a must to avoid lumps and it helps in even mixing.
- Don't use sour curd or reduce the quantity to get a spongy texture. Also, the curd should be at room temperature only.
- Use any neutral/flavourless oil only, else the Eggless Vanilla Cake smells different.
- Oil can be replaced with melted butter (not ghee), but the cake hardens after 2 or 3 days.
- After adding baking powder and baking soda to the curd (step 4), don't give more than 5 minutes resting time. Otherwise, baking agents de-activate and the cake won't raise.
- For a golden coloured top layer, brush the cake with little milk 10 minutes before the finishing time and bake again.
- The shelf life of this Eggless Sponge Cake Recipe is 3 to 4 days. The same batter can be used to prepare vanilla cupcakes.
- Baking powder cannot be substituted with baking soda, both are different.
- Ensure baking powder and baking soda are within the expiry date, else the cake won't raise and turns spongy.
- Don’t over whisk the batter, else the cake becomes hard.
- Once you prepare the batter, bake it immediately, otherwise, the baking powder de-activate and the cake won't raise.
- Choose correct sized baking tray, else while baking itself the batter overflows. To avoid this fill the batter to 3/4th of the tray.
- If the cake doesn’t get baked in the centre, cover the tray with an aluminium foil or butter paper and bake for another 10 minutes.
Method for Eggless Sponge Cake Recipe
1. First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. To a dry mixer, add the sugar and pulse it finely (if you have powdered sugar in hand already, skip this step). To a mixing bowl, pour the curd (use fresh curd only and ensure it is at room temperature).
3. Then, add powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt to it. Whisk everything well.
4. Rest it for 5 minutes only. Curd and baking soda react with each other and now you can see bubbles rising on top. Then pour oil and vanilla essence into the mixture.
5. Add sifted flour slowly and start folding the mixture gently. Ensure the batter is without any lumps. In the meantime pre-heat the oven for 15 minutes at 180c.
6. Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over. Select a suitable size tray as the cake doubles in size. Now pour the cake batter to the tray, and shake a little, so that the air bubble release. Place the tray in the oven in baking mode and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 180c or a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once cooled, invert the tray on a plate and gently tap to remove the cake. Then slice it with a sharp knife.
Enjoy this Eggless Sponge Cake Recipe during tea time.