An eggless, butterless orange sponge cake recipe with only handful of ingredients, interesting! isn’t it? This eggless orange cake is a sure treat for vegetarians, it tastes so yummy with the burst of orange flavour and it’s vegan too. You may have the doubt whether this cake would be spongy without the addition of curd, vinegar, or egg, but trust me this cake was soooo soft as orange juice is enough to lend the softness. I have shared the recipe, with step by step photo with lots of tips and it’s a no-fail recipe too.
Checkout my other Christmas cake Recipes
1. Choco Chip Cookies
2. Eggless Chocolate Cake
3. Honey Cake – Bakery Style
4. Tutti Frutti Cake
Eggless Orange Cake | Orange Sponge Cake Recipe
- OTG Oven / Microwave Oven
- 1.5 Cup Maida / All purpose Flour
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 1 Drop Orange Essence Optional
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
- First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
- To a sieve, add maida, corn flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1 pinch of salt and sift everything well to avoid lumps. Keep by side.
- To a mixing bowl add sugar and oil. Whisk it well, till the sugar granules dissolves completely.
- Now pour the orange juice and add the sieved dry ingredients slowly.
- Then add orange zest and essence. Whisk it gently, till smooth and soft. Fold it slowly as over beating turns the cake hard. The batter should be in pouring consistency not watery. By the time pre-heat the oven to 180c for 15 minutes.
- Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over. Select a suitable size tray as the cake doubles in size. Now pour the cake batter to the tray, then shake a little, so that the air bubble release. Place the tray in the oven and bake it for 30 to 35 minutes at 200c or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once it cools down, run a knife through the sides and gently tap to remove the cake. I dusted some powdered sugar and orange zest for decoration.Enjoy this eggless orange cake during tea time.
Tips for Orange Sponge Cake Recipe
- Sieving the dry ingredients is important to avoid lumps and for even mixing.
- Baking powder cannot be substituted with baking soda, both are different.
- For the healthy version, maida can be replaced with atta, but the cake will be a little dense.
- Equal quantity of maida and atta can also be used for this eggless orange cake.
- Sugar can be replaced with powdered sugar or cane sugar too.
- Oil can be replaced with olive oil or softened butter. But ensure to use neutral/flavourless oil.
- Corn flour can be replaced with custard powder also.
- Either fresh orange juice or readymade ones can be used.
- Also don't use orange zest more than mentioned else the cake tastes a little bitter.
- Addition of orange essence adds more flavour but it's optional. It can be replaced with vanilla essence or made without any essence.
- Adjust sugar as per sweetness required for this orange sponge cake Recipe.
- Always choose the correct size baking tray, otherwise, the cake overflows when baking itself. To avoid this fill only 1/2 or 3/4 of the tray with the batter.
- Don't over bake the cake, else it turns hard. After 25 minutes keep an eye on the cake.
- This cake stays good for 3 to 4 days under room temperature.
Method for Eggless Orange Cake
1. First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. To a sieve, add maida, corn flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1 pinch of salt, and sift everything well to avoid lumps. Keep by side.
3. To a mixing bowl add sugar and oil. Whisk it well, till the sugar granules dissolves completely.
4. Now pour the orange juice and add the sieved dry ingredients slowly.
5. Then add orange zest and essence. Whisk it gently, till smooth and soft. Fold it slowly as over beating turns the cake hard. The batter should be in pouring consistency not watery. By the time pre-heat the oven to 180c for 15 minutes.
6. Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over. Select a suitable size tray as the cake doubles in size. Now pour the cake batter to the tray, then shake a little, so that the air bubble release. Place the tray in the oven and bake it for 30 to 35 minutes at 200c or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Once it cools down, run a knife through the sides and gently tap to remove the cake. I dusted some powdered sugar and orange zest for decoration.
Enjoy this eggless orange cake during tea time.
Can u explain which mode is u used to bake cakes in morphy Richards other.
Usually, pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes at 180c, then for baking mode the bottom rod alone should get heated up. Thank you for visiting my blog.
Mre sare cake centre se kachhe or side se jyada pak jate h .plz tell how tobake
Hi, Ensure you follow the common tips in baking.
1. Set the oven in a baking mode, If using OTG – the bottom rod alone should get heated up.Microwave- pre-heat the oven and bake the cake in convection mode at 180c for 30 to 35 minutes.
2. For the centre, not baking and the outer layer is crispy/dry or browned soon- after 30 minutes, cover the cake with an aluminium foil or butter paper and bake for another 10 minutes.
Hope these tips help you thank you, Sweety.
3. Also, the prepared cake batter should not be watery, just pourable.
I tried this orange cake and it has turned out moist and soft.its extremely delicious.and thank u for this recipe.
Thanks for trying and for your comments.
DELICIOUS! Thanks for sharing this super easy recipe. Ready within an hour. Great if you have guests and need something quick.
Thanks a lot.
Thank you. It was an awesome cake. The timing was different for my oven , a bit longer. Was yummy with just 3/4th cup sugar. Thank you once again.🙏
Thanks a lot for your feedback, baking temperature varies from oven to oven and its common.
What is the size (diameter) of the Bundt cake tin used? I will try this soon…
The dimension of the bundt tin, L*W*H – 24*24*10 cm. Please try and let me know your feedback.
Perfect recipe ! Came out really good 🤩
Thanks a lot.
I tried the cake, taste was good but extremely crumbly. I used butter instead of oil. Wondering where I went wrong
There are some notes where the cake turns crumbly or dry.
1. Cakes turn out dry because the oven is just too hot.
2. Cakes can become dry when you add too much flour.
3. It’s important not to overmix cake batter (overmixed batter can make for a chewy, rough cake)
4. Don’t overbake than the mentioned time, if it looks golden brown or firm, give it a quick test with a toothpick.
5. Use the right size pan: Cakes baked in pans too large for the amount of batter can be dry.
6. Ingredients like milk, curd, and oil give your cake batter moisture, so don’t omit them.
Hope these tips help you, try it again you will get it perfect.
The cake was so yummy! High recommend. I added some orange glaze and vegan ice cream to moisten it up a bit.
Thanks a lot.