An eggless, butterless orange sponge cake recipe with only handful of ingredients, interesting! isn’t it? This eggless orange cake is a sure treat for vegeterians, it tastes so yummy with the burst of orange flavour and it’s vegan too. You may have the doubt whether this cake would be spongy without the addition of curd, vinegar or egg, but trust me this cake was soooo soft as orange juice is enough to lend the softness. I have shared the recipe, with step by step photo with lots of tips and it’s a no fail recipe too.
Eggless orange cake / orange sponge cake recipe is a sure treat for vegeterians, it tastes so yummy with the burst of orange flavour and it's vegan too.
- 1.5 Cup Maida / All purpose Flour
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 1 Drop Orange Essence Optional
- 1 tsp Orange Zest
First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
To a sieve, add maida, corn flour, baking soda, baking powder, 1 pinch of salt and sift everything well to avoid lumps. Keep by side.
To a mixing bowl add sugar and oil. Whisk it well, till the sugar granules dissolves completely.
Now pour the orange juice and add the sieved dry ingredients slowly.
Then add orange zest and essence. Whisk it gently, till smooth and soft. Fold it slowly as over beating turns the cake hard. The batter should be in pouring consistency not watery. By the time pre-heat the oven to 180c for 15 minutes.
Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over. Select a suitable size tray as the cake doubles in size. Now pour the cake batter to the tray, then shake a little, so that the air bubble release. Place the tray in the oven and bake it for 30 to 35 minutes at 200c or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once it cools down, run a knife through the sides and gently tap to remove the cake. I dusted some powdered sugar and orange zest for decoration.
Enjoy this eggless orange cake during tea time.
1. Sieving the dry ingredients is important to avoid lumps and for even mixing.
2. Baking powder cannot be substituted with baking soda, both are different.
3. For healthy version, maida can be replaced with atta, but the cake will be little dense.
4. Equal quantity of maida and atta can also be used for this eggless orange cake.
5. Sugar can be replaced with powdered sugar or cane sugar too.
6. Oil can be replaced with olive oil or softened butter. But ensure to use neutral / flavourless oil.
7. Corn flour can be replaced with custard powder also.
8. Either fresh orange juice or readymade ones can be used.
9. Also don’t use orange zest more than mentioned else the cake taste little bitter.
10. Addition of orange essence adds more flavour but it’s optional. It can be replaced with vanilla essence or made without any essence.
11. Adjust sugar as per sweetness required for this orange sponge cake Recipe.
12. Always choose the correct size baking tray, otherwise the cake overflows when baking itself. To avoid this fill only 1/2 or 3/4 of the tray with the batter.
13. Don’t over bake the cake, else it turns hard. After 25 minutes keep an eye on the cake.
14. This cake stays good for 3 to 4 days under room temperature.