This Eggless honey cake recipe / Indian bakery style cake is actually introduced by Bangalore Iyengar bakery which is also famous for their other stuffs like veg sandwiches, dilpasand, khara buns, biscuits etc. A basic sponge cake is enough to prepare this tasty delicacy. This cake is so soft, moist, drenched in sugar syrup, beautifully topped up with colourful jam and desiccated coconut. No much introduction is needed for this delicious cake as most of us would have tasted it. Do try this cake and you will surely enjoy it.
1. All purpose Flour can be replaced with wheat flour. But this eggless honey cake recipe taste good with APF.
2. Any basic vanilla cake /orange cake can be used for this recipe.
3. Orange juice can be replaced with milk, in that case use only orange essence for more flavour.
4. A pinch of food color can also be added to the batter for nice color. But I didn’t use any color.
5. Baking time varies from oven to oven.
6. When making honey syrup, add honey to the sugar syrup only when it is warm.
7. Other jams like pineapple, strawberry etc can also be used. But I prefer mixed fruit jam.
8. Shelf life of this Indian bakery style cake is 2 days only as it is very moist.
9. After slicing the cake you can coat the cake with honey syrup and desiccated coconut even to the sides, as done in bakeries.
10. In bakeries, they add a pinch of chilli powder to the jam topping to get extra punch. But it is optional.