Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe / Plum Cake is usually light or dark brown in colour, have crumbled texture, enriched with dry fruits and nuts. It is said dry fruit and nuts are soaked in rum / wine before six months itself and allowed to ferment. But this version I have given below is an eggless, non alcoholic version. The cake is so flavourful and delicious, but because of my craziness to taste the cake, I cut the cake before cooling and it got crumbled. So I baked a second batch and ended up with rework. But I feel its worth trying it. Wish you all a Merry Christmas.
1. Mixed fruits and nuts choice is optional as per your preference.
2. If preferred fig, walnuts, almonds, pista can be used.
3. You can directly use the mixed fruits and nuts without soaking in orange juice. But as the nuts and fruits get fermented in the orange juice, it gives a wonderful flavor to the cake.
4. Apple juice / grape juice also can be used to soak the fruits and nuts.
5. Chop the fruits and nuts finely so it will be easy to slice.
6. Orange zest or at least orange juice is a must as the slight bitterness comes from it, else the cake taste only sweet.
7. Don’t over mix the batter or over bake the cake, it will turn hard.
8. If the cake browns on top too much, then cover it with a butter paper / aluminium foil and then go ahead.
9. Allow the cake to cool completely about 2 hours and then slice it.
10. Maida can be replaced with wheat flour also. But the plum cake turns little dense.