Today I have shared a simple, delectable chocolate mousse recipe and it is a eggless – gelatin free version. The original recipe calls for dark chocolate and rum, but instead of rum, apple juice or even water can be substituted. This mousse is really a silky, creamy, rich dessert apt for any lunch or dinner or parties. It can be prepared in advance and kept under refrigeration also. I am starting this year with this yummy eggless chocolate mousse. Wish you all a Happy New Year 2017.
Eggless Chocolate Mousse | Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Setting Time : 4 hours or Overnight | Makes: 4 to 5 Small glasses
- Fresh Cream – 3/4 cup
- Dark Chocolate / Milk Chocolate – 2 cups
- Honey / Golden syrup – 1.5 tblsp
- Apple Juice / water – 1.5 tblsp
1. Break chocolate into pieces. Heat a pan with little water and place a bowl, make sure the bowl is dry without any moisture. In double boiling method melt it with honey and water in low flame until smooth. Allow it to cool.
2. In another bowl, take the cream (reserve some cream for garnishing) and whip it using hand blender or wire whisk. Whip it for about 2 minutes till it reaches soft peak consistency. The cream should be light and airy. Once the melted chocolate cools add it to the whipped cream.
3. Now fold the whipped cream and melted chocolate gently. Do it very gently as the mousse should not loose the fluffy, light and airy texture. Pour the mixture with a spoon to the serving glass and cover it. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. For garnishing use fresh cream, choco chips, cherries, wafers or chocolate sauce as per your preference.
Serve it chilled.
1. Milk chocolate / choco chips can also be used. I used whole dark chocolate as the traditional recipe calls for dark chocolate. Combination of all 3 can also be added.
2. Always use good quality chocolate and fresh cream for this eggless chocolate mousse recipe.
3. Don’t use milk chocolate fully as you won’t get brown color.
4. Use double boiling method to melt the chocolate, make sure the bowl is dry without any moisture and doesn’t touch the water.
5. Even if a drop of water splashes in the chocolate while melting it turns gritted.
6. Also melt the chocolate in low flame, else it smells burnt.
7. Don’t over whip the cream otherwise it turns into butter.
8. Never add the melted chocolate to the cream when it is hot or else the cream curdles.
9. For variation 1 tsp of coffee powder / vaniila essence can be added which lends a different flavour.
10. Shelf life of this chocolate mousse recipe is 2 to 3 days under refrigeration, cling wrap it and store it chilled.
lovely chocolate mousse!! awesome pics!!
Anu - My Ginger Garlic Kitchen
This chocolate mousse looks so nice and delicious. Love the fact this is eggless. Wish you a very Happy New Year 2017, Priya. 🙂
Thanks Anu and wish you the same.
Looks delicious…happy new year
Happy New year Jayashree and thanks for your comment.