Eggless Black Forest Cake Recipe also is known as Black Forest Gateau is a chocolate sponge cake with a rich cherry filling based on the German dessert Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte, literally “Black Forest – Torte” (Source: wiki). You need not bake any special cakes for the base, as we can go ahead with the basic Chocolate Sponge Cake. Don’t let down, by seeing the ingredients, it so easy that even an amateur like me in baking can do it, what you need is little patience. I usually bake the cake a day before and then go with the icing which is really enjoyable work. And finally, I can bet you this cake is loved by everyone and there is no other way to make any occasion more special. Also, I have shared this cake recipe with step by step pics, a short youtube video and if you like it, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Eggless Black Forest Cake Recipe
- 1 Cup Maida / All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Pinch Salt
- 1 tsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 1/2 Cup Grated Chocolate
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Cups Fresh Cream
- 2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
For the Cherry Syrup
- 1 Cup Cherry
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
- To a wide bowl, Pour the milk and vinegar, then set aside for 5 minutes. It gets curdled now.
- To another mixing bowl, pour the melted butter, powdered sugar and give a rough mix. Then sieve maida, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder over it.
- Pour 1 tbsp of warm water to the instant coffee powder, mix well and pour it over the dry sieved ingredients. Then add the milk-vinegar mixture. Mix everything well without any lumps.
- Line a baking pan with butter paper, brush it with oil and dust little flour all over. Pour the batter and shake the pan twice, so that the air bubbles releases. Place the tray in a pre-heated oven and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes at 180c or a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once cooled, invert the tray on a plate and gently tap to remove the cake.
For the Icing
- Keep the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla essence ready. Then transfer everything to a mixing bowl. Using a hand whisk or electric whipper, whip it in high speed for 3 minutes until the cream reaches stiff peak consistency.
For the Cherry Syrup
- To a pan, pour the water, then add cherries and sugar. Boil it for 5 minutes, till reaches syrup consistency. Allow it to cool down.
Assembling the Black Forest Cake
- Slice the cake into 2 halves, if you need 4 layers just double the ingredients and bake the cake. First, brush the bottom layer with cooled cherry syrup. Then cover it with icing and top it with chopped cherries.
- Now cover the bottom layer with another sliced cake followed by cherry syrup and icing. Cover the sides also with icing. Then sprinkle with chocolate shavings in the centre and stick it to the sides also. Decorate the cake with the piping bags and place the cherries on top. Please click the video link, so you can understand the procedure easily.
Try this Black Forest Cake Recipe this weekend to make it more special.
Tips for Eggless Black Forest Cake Recipe
- I baked for 2 a layered cake only. But if you want to go with 4 layers, just double all the ingredients and slice the cake into 4 pieces.
- Use good quality cocoa powder, as it is the main ingredient for this cake.
- I suggest adding instant coffee powder mix, which lends a nice taste and aroma to the Black Forest Cake Recipe.
- If you want to keep the cake for a few days, replace melted butter with oil. As butter hardens the cake and the shelflife also reduces.
- Always cool the cake and then slice it, else it gets crumbled.
- Instead of preparing cherry syrup, you can buy a readymade/ canned cherry tin. It has both the cherries and syrup inside and the process also gets completed easily.
- Ensure the cake is completely cooled before doing the icing. Otherwise, the icing melts and becomes a mess.
- Chocolate shavings can be replaced with chocolate vermicelli too.
- In Microwave: preheat it and bake the cake in convection mode at 180c for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Refrigerate the cake for 2 hours before serving, so it gets firm.
2. Ensure baking powder and baking soda is within the expiry date, else the cake won't raise and turns spongy.
3. Once you prepare the batter, bake it immediately, otherwise, the baking powder de-activate and the cake won't raise.
4. Don’t over whisk the batter, else the cake becomes hard.
5. Choose correct sized baking tray, else while baking itself the cake overflows. To avoid this fill the batter to 1/2 of the tray.
6. If the cake doesn’t get baked in the centre, cover the tray with an aluminium foil or butter paper and bake for another 10 minutes.