If you have any ripe banana left in your kitchen, then hold for a minute before discarding it! Do try this soft, butterless, moist Eggless Banana Cake recipe with an amazing flavour of banana and the crunchiness of walnuts. You can prepare it with almonds, pista, pecan nuts or plain also. If making for kids you can add some cocoa powder or choco chips for chocolate flavoured cake. It is vegan also and I can say it is the best ever Eggless Banana Bread I have so far tasted.
Eggless Banana Cake recipe / Eggless Banana Bread with step by step pictures with an amazing flavour of banana and the crunchiness of walnuts.
- 3/4 Cup Maida / All purpose Flour 90 gms
- 3/4 Cup Atta / Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar 100 gms
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/2 Cup Oil 125 ml
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg Powder Optional
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts Optional
- 4 Small Banana
First measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
If using walnuts, chop it finely. Then remove the skin of banana and place it in a wide bowl.
Mash the banana well with a ladle or with your fingers.
Add sugar, then whisk it with a hand wire whisk or electric blender, till the sugar granules dissolves completely.
Now pour oil to the banana - sugar mixture.
Add vanilla essence and sieve maida directly over the banana mixture.
Now sieve atta, baking powder, baking soda and a pinch of salt over the banana mixture. Whisk everything well till smooth and soft.
Add nutmeg powder and chopped walnuts.
Fold the batter gently. Brush a baking tray with oil and dust little flour all over or line it with a butter paper.
Transfer the batter to the baking tray, then level it with a ladle / spatula. Shake the pan twice, so that the air bubbles releases. Place the tray in a pre-heated oven and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes at 180c or a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove the tray from the oven, 10 minutes before finishing time and brush it with milk all over. This step helps to get even brown colour on top but its optional only. Place the tray again in the oven and continue baking for the remaining 10 minutes. Once cooled, invert the tray on a plate and gently tap to remove the cake.
Slice eggless banana bread into pieces and enjoy during tea time.
1. Use over ripe banana only for this eggless banana bread for a excellent taste.
2. For a healthier version, it can be made with wheat flour alone. But I used combination of both maida and atta.
3. Sieving the flours is important to avoid lumps and for even mixing.
4. Baking powder cannot be substituted with baking soda, both are different.
5. Ensure baking powder and baking soda is within the expiry date, else the cake don’t raise or turns spongy.
6. Oil can be replaced with same quantity of melted butter also.
7. Use any neutral / flavourless oil only, else the cake smells different.
8. For different taste dry nuts / fruits like almonds, pista, pecan or can be used.
9. For chocolate flavoured cake 2 tsp of cocoa powder or choco chips can be added.
10. For spicy flavoured cake, 1/8 tsp of cinnamon powder can be used.
11. Once you prepare the batter, bake it immediately else the baking powder deactivate and the cake wont raise.
12. Also don’t over mix the batter, otherwise the cake becomes hard.
13. Always choose the correct sized baking tray, else while baking itself the cake over flows. To avoid this fill the batter only, to 1/2 of the tray.
14. If the cake doesn’t gets baked in the center, cover the tray with an aluminium foil / butter paper and bake for another 10 minutes.
15. For even golden coloured top layer, brush the cake with little milk before 10 minutes and bake it again.
16. Shelf life of this eggless banana cake recipe is 3 to 4 days and the same batter can be used to prepare banana cupcakes.