Today’s blog post is How to make Instant Appam, it may be called as shortcut method of the traditional style Nei appam, which is a little bit lengthy process. So, no soaking the rice or grinding or fermentation is needed in this recipe, as we do for the traditional version. It is a 100% instant one, that you can taste the appam within 30 minutes and apt for the last minute Karthigai Deepam Festival Pooja. Though, it is a quick version, the taste was so yummilicious and the appam stayed so soft for many hours. If interested, check my other recipes like Rava Appam, Maida Appam, wheat flour Appam too. Also, I have shared this Easy Nei Appam with step by step pics, a short youtube video and if you like it, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Easy Nei Appam | How to make Instant Appam
- 1/4 Cup Wheat Flour / கோதுமை மாவு
- 1/3 Cup Rice Flour / அரிசிமாவு
- 1/2 Cup Fine Rava / ரவை
- 3/4 to 1 Cup Jaggery / வெல்லம்
- 1/2 Cup Water / தண்ணீர் (To melt jaggery)
- 3 Cardamom / ஏலக்காய்
- 2 Pinch Salt / உப்பு
- 2 to 3 tbsp Grated Coconut / துருவிய தேங்காய்
- 1/4 tsp Cooking Soda / சமையல் சோடா
- Ghee / நெய் As Required (Link for ghee)
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Then grate the coconut or chop it into small bite-sized bits.
- To a wide mixing bowl, add wheat flour, rice flour, fine rava, crushed cardamom and grated coconut. To a pan, add 3/4 cup of jaggery and pour 1/2 cup of water. Heat till the jaggery completely dissolves and slightly thickens. No string consistency is needed here.
- Filter the jaggery through a metal strainer and pour it over the flours kept in the bowl. Mix it well, then add 1/4 tsp of cooking soda and 2 pinches of salt.
- Then pour very little water and adjust the consistency. The batter should not be too thick or watery. Heat a paniyaram pan, grease each mould with ghee.
- Using a spoon, take little batter and fill each mould with 3/4 of the batter (You can also deep fry the appam’s in kadai using oil).
- Cover and cook in low flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Once the bottom is cooked, flip it to the other side using a spoon or fork.
Tips On How To Make Instant Appam
- Instead of adding grated coconut, you can chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- Adjust jaggery as per your sweetness, you can increase it to 1 cup also.
- Always filter the jaggery to remove the impurities.
- If the batter is thick, the appams become dense and hard. Pour little water and adjust the consistency.
- If the batter is thin, the appam’s will turn flat and absorb more ghee/oil.
- Don’t give resting time after adding cooking soda. Also, don’t add more than mentioned, else the appam absorbs more ghee.
- Adding salt enhances the sweetness of this Easy Nei Appam.
- If preferred it can be deep fried in oil, but fry one at a time to get perfect shaped appams.
- Ensure the pan is hot enough, so the appams won't stick to the pan.
- If you are calorie conscious appam can be fried in sesame oil also, but ghee only gives the perfect taste.
- Always cook the appam in low flame, otherwise, it doesn’t get cooked inside.