Moringa leaves are considered as the most nutritious plants and it the queen of all spinach varieties. It has unending health benefits and if I start listing out, it becomes a separate blog post, so jotted a few points below. Usually, these leaves are used to make sambar, poriyal, adai and whenever I prepare ghee, if available, I never miss to add these leaves at last, which lends a divinely smell to the ghee. This drumstick leaves powder recipe / Murungai Keerai podi helps to boost the stamina, controls diabetes, lowers cholesterol, detoxify the body and mainly simulates the hair growth. I have shared the recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video. More than boiling the leaves if had in powder form, the nutrients will be retained. It is a perfect pair with idli, dosa and can be had with hot steaming rice with a dollop of ghee.
This drumstick leaves powder recipe / Murungai Keerai podi helps to boost the stamina, controls diabetes, lowers cholesterol, detoxify the body and mainly simulates the hair growth.
- 2 Cups Moringa / Drumstick Leaves
- 2 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Channa Dal
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 7 to 10 Red Chilli
- 1 Generous Pinch Hing
- 2 Pinch Turmeric Powder
- Salt As Required
- 2 tsp Oil
Cleaning Moringa Leaves: First, remove the leaves without any stalks. Then rinse well and dry it in a kitchen towel for minimum 2 hours, there should not be any moisture left. I rinsed well and sundried the moringa leaves for a day. Then measure and keep all the ingredients ready.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, then add urad dal, channa dal and coriander seeds.
Furthermore, add jeera and roast everything till golden colour. Then add red chilli, hing and roast again. Do the whole roasting process in low flame and ensure not to burn anything, else the powder tastes bitter.
Keep the roasted ingredients in a plate separately. Pour 1 tsp of oil and add the moringa leaves. Roast for a minute only, as I have sun-dried already, the roasting got finished quickly. If you have dried for few hours, then roast the leaves till crispy, just break the leaves with your fingers and check.
Once it cools down, transfer everything to a mixer except moringa leaves. Just grind it in pulse mode once.
Now add the moringa leaves and grind everything to a coarse or smooth powder is preferred.
Transfer the grounded powder to a bowl, then add turmeric powder and required salt. Mix everything well and store it in an airtight container.
Serve this drumstick leaves powder with set dosa.
Tips for Murungai Keerai Podi Recipe
- Clean the leaves thoroughly without any stalks.
- I have shared different methods for drying the moringa leaves
- Dry it for a minimum of 2 hours in a kitchen towel
- Sundry it for 1 or 2 days, the leaves turn crispy automatically in this method.
- Microwave it for 4 to 5 mins for high, by constant stirring in the middle.
- Ensure there is no water content in the drumstick leaves, as moisture reduces the shelf life.
- Adjust chilli as per spice level required for this murungai keerai podi.
- Addition of turmeric powder lends a vibrant green colour to the drumstick leaves powder recipe.
- The shelf life of this powder is 1 month in room temperature and 3 months when refrigerated.
- Always store it in a clean container and use a dry spoon every time.