Dal makhani or dal makhni (pronounced daal makh-nee, “buttery lentils”) is a dish originating from the Indian subcontinent, notably in the Punjab region. … The dish gets its richness from the use of cream, but it can also be prepared with yoghurt, milk or no dairy (Source: wiki). Traditionally, this Dal Makhani Recipe is prepared in firewood for 8 to 10 hours or overnight in low flame to get a creamy texture and smoky flavour. But for today’s ultrafast life, we can only pressure cook by simmering the flame and follow the Dhungar Method to get the smoky flavour (Refer: my Dal Tadka Recipe for the procedure) I have tasted this gravy so many times and I love the one served in Aanand Sweets here in Bangalore, do try my recipe and it was really yummy with Jeera Rice, Phulka and Chapati ……I have shared this Punjabi Dal Makhani with step by step pics, a short YouTube video, If you like it, share it and please don’t forgot to subscribe to my channel.
Punjabi Dal Makhani Recipe is prepared in firewood for 8 to 10 hours or overnight in low flame to get a creamy texture and smoky flavour. But for today's ultrafast life, we can only pressure cook by simmering the flame and follow the Dhungar Method to get the smoky flavour.
- 3/4 Cup Black WholeUrad Dal
- 1/4 Cup Rajma Bean
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Chilli
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste Link for homemade ginger - garlic paste
- 2 Large Tomato
- 1.5 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Link for garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cream
- Salt As Required
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 3 tbsp Butter Link for homemade butter
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom
- 1 Small Piece Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
Soak black urad dal, rajma beans for 10 hours or overnight. Rinse well for 2 to 3 times.
Pour 3 cups of water and add a little salt. Pressure cook it for 8 to 10 whistles in very low flame.
Puree the tomato, chop the onion and green chilli finely. Then measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
In a heavy bottomed pan, melt the butter.
Add jeera, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaf. Once nice smell wafts, add onion, green chilli and saute till translucent. Then add ginger - garlic paste and saute again.
Pour the tomato puree, add chilli powder, garam masala powder and required salt.
Cook covered for 2 to 3 minutes, till the raw smell of the tomato puree leaves. Now add the lentils, mash a little, pour 1 cup of water and cook covered in very low flame for 25 minutes. Stir it in the middle to avoid burning at the bottom.
By the time the gravy would have thickened, pour the fresh cream and add kasuri methi leaves.
Finally, garnish with coriander leaves and give a quick mix.
Serve this Dal Makhani Recipe with Bhatura.
Tips for Punjabi Dal Makhani Recipe
1. Always soak the lentils for minimum 10 hours or overnight for easy cooking.
2. Addition of rajma bean is optional but it adds more taste to the Dal Makhani Recipe.
3. Pressure cook the lentils for at least 10 whistles, so it turns soft and ensure to cook in low flame.
4. I suggest butter for sauteing, which adds an excellent taste to the Punjabi Dal Makhani.
5. For a vegan version - replace butter with oil and fresh cream with cashew cream.
6. Don't skip Kasuri methi leaves and fresh cream as it lends more flavour/taste to the gravy.
7. For the authentic Dhaba flavour, you can follow the dhungar method at last: hold the charcoal with tongs and show it in the direct flame until it becomes red hot. Place the charcoal in a small bowl and keep the bowl carefully over the gravy. Then pour 1/4 tsp of ghee over the hot charcoal and it starts fuming. Keep covered for 2 to 3 minutes, so that the fuming charcoal flavour will be locked. Open the lid and remove the bowl. (Refer - my Dal Tadka Recipe to know the method).
8. For a more creamy texture, increase the fresh cream quantity to 1/3 cup.