Crispy Corn Recipe in Barbeque Nation Style starters at home, that’s cool, isn’t it. I can say, I love to eat at BBQ nation for the variety of starters they serve, I think many of you agree with me. It took 2 to 3 trials for me to get this recipe perfect and from then I got tightly hooked to this method. There is nothing fancy in this method, the corn kernels are half cooked, coated with flours, then deep fried finally tossed with some spice powders, onion and lemon juice squeezed on top before serving. But if you don’t have chaat masala in hand, never try this recipe, as it is the main ingredient that lends the perfect BBQ Nation style taste and flavour. I like to share another main tip here, when you are deep frying the corn, always cover it with a lid, as there is a chance of corn kernels popping up and the hot oil splashes all over (Refer the pics and video for more details). Also, I have shared this Crispy Corn Recipe with step by step pics, a short YouTube video, If you like it, share it and please don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Crispy Corn Recipe | Crispy Corn Kernels
- 2 Cups Sweet Corn Kernels
- 4 tbsp Corn Flour
- 4 tbsp Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
- Salt As Required
- Oil For Deep Frying
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chaat Masala
- 2 tbsp Onion
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Then rinse the corn kernels well.
- Roll boil 3 cups of water in a pan, add a very little salt and the corn kernels. Just half cook it for about 2 minutes, the corn kernels should retain its crunchiness, don't overcook and make it mushy. Drain the water and keep it under running cold water for 1/2 minute, this step prevents the corn from further cooking and cools down immediately. Ensure there is very little moisture/water content in the drained corn.
- To a mixing bowl, add the corn kernels, corn flour, rice flour, pepper powder and required salt. Sprinkle very little water and combine everything well. Never pour the water and make the corn kernels sticky, else it won't turn crispy after frying.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed Kadai / Skillet and drop the corn kernels in batches, don't crowd the oil. At this step, be alert as the corn kernels pop up and the oil splashes all over. So cover the Kadai / skillet by leaving a small gap, so the steam escapes.
- After it gets fried for a minute, open the cover, turn over and fry it for another 1/2 minute till crispy. Drain it in a kitchen towel, once it slightly cools down transfer it to a bowl.
- Now sprinkle chilli powder, jeera powder, chaat masala and salt (very little salt only as we have added twice). Give a quick toss.
- Finally, add chopped onion, coriander leaves, squeeze lemon juice and toss again.Enjoy this Crispy Corn Recipe with Mango Juice.
Tips for Crispy Corn Recipe
- I used fresh corn removed from the cob. If using frozen corn, thaw it and then use.
- Don't overcook the corn (Step:2) and make it mushy. It should hold the shape and retain crunchiness, so half cooking is enough.
- After cooking the corn drain it properly and there should be very little moisture/ water content.
- Never pour the water and mix the corn with dry flours, else it won't turn crispy on frying. Just sprinkle very little and combine.
- Frying the corn: Be very alert at this step, as the corn kernels pop up and the hot oil splashes all over. So, cover the skillet / Kadai and be at a safe distance (refer the pics and video) for more details.
- Adjust chilli powder and pepper powder as per spiciness preferred for this Crispy corn kernels.
- For more flavour, even 1 tbsp of spring onions can be used.
- Don't skip chaat masala, as it lends an excellent aroma and taste.
- Also, top it up with onion and lemon juice just before serving. otherwise, this Crispy Corn Recipe turns soggy. It tastes best when served hot.