Corn flour Halwa recipe or Bombay Karachi Halwa is a sweet made with corn flour, sugar and ghee. It is a simple and most versatile recipe that you can either cut the halwa into pieces or have it in spoon as such. From my childhood days I like this halwa very much. In my hometown whenever we buy this halwa as an evening snack, they will serve this halwa in a banana leaf. A handful of mixture/savoury will also be given under the banana leaf as a compliment to this halwa. At that time I don’t know that this halwa was made of corn flour. Although I have tried lot of halwa recipes before, to say the truth, this is the first time I am trying this halwa. But I can now ensure you that this the most easy diwali sweets, that even beginners can try it.
Corn flour Halwa recipe or Bombay Karachi Halwa is a sweet made with corn flour, sugar and ghee. It is a simple and most versatile recipe that you can either cut the halwa into pieces or have it in spoon as such.
- 1/2 Cup Corn Flour
- 1.5 Cup Sugar
- 1 + 1.5 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Cashew Nuts (Chopped Finely)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Pinch Cardamom Powder
- 2 Pinch Food Colour
In a bowl take corn flour, pour 1 1/2 cups of water. Whisk well until there is no lumps. Add food colour and again whisk it.
In a pan, take sugar and pour 1 cup of water. Boil until the sugar melts completely. Bubbles will appear and it starts to thicken. No one string consistency is required.
Now add the corn flour mix and stir in low flame. Stir continuously till the mix turns transparent and viscous. Continue the stirring until the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan. Add 1 tbsp of ghee and cardamom powder. There will be change in colour and halwa becomes glossy.
Fry the cashews with a tsp of ghee until golden brown. Add the fried cashews to the halwa and mix well.
Grease a plate or tray with little ghee. Pour the halwa mixer into the tray. Cool down at least for an hour. Then cut it into square or rectangle shape or shape it as per your choice.
Bombay Karachi Halwa is ready.
1. Adjust sugar as per your preference, but the sugar level was perfect for me.
2. Always whisk the corn flour and water well till there is no lumps.
3. You can prepare this halwa in microwave too.
4. You can also use different food colours like green, yellow etc.
5. Corn flours can be replaced with custard powder.
6. Chop the cashews very finely otherwise slicing the bombay karachi halwa will not be even.
7. Cook it in low flame or else the halwa will have a raw smell of the corn flour.
8. Shelf life of the corn flour halwa recipe is 2 days and under refrigeration it is 5 days.