When I go for weekly shopping coriander will be in my shopping list. Most of the times, half of the bunch will be left over in the fridge, and my immediate thought to make use of it would be this Coriander Chutney recipe / Kothamalli Chutney in Tamil. Coriander or Cilantro or Chinese parsley is commonly known as kothamalli. It is mostly used for garnishing in cooking purposes. This coriander has numerous health benefits with minerals and vitamins. The most popular health benefit is it prevents nausea, vomiting and other stomach disorders.
Check out my other Chutney recipes
- 1 Small Bunch Coriander Leaves
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli
- 3 to 4 Small Onion
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 Small Piece Tamarind
- 1 Pinch Turmeric Powder
- Salt To Taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 tsp Oil
- Wash coriander leaves 3 to 4 times and drain the water. In a pan roast urad dal with little oil until golden brown and keep by side. In the same pan add a tsp of oil. Add small onion, green chilli and saute for a while.
- Now add coriander leaves and saute until it shrinks slightly. Switch off the flame, add grated coconut and stir quickly. Let it cool down. Transfer the contents to a mixer.
- Grind it with a pinch of turmeric powder and tamarind. Add roasted urad dal and salt.
Tips for Kothamalli Chutney Recipe
2. Slit the green while sauting or else it will splutter.
3. If you dont want the smell of the onion it can be skipped.
4. Turmeric powder gives nice bright green colour to the chutney.