This Coconut Burfi Recipe is the most simplest sweet made with 2 main ingredients grated coconut and sugar. There are so many methods and also variations to make this sweet delight, you can grate or grind the coconut. For more juicier version, milk can be added or it even can be made with condensed milk too. There is no specific method, but today I have shared a very simple post which can be made within 20 minutes. For a different look, I didn’t grind the coconut to fine texture, used the grated one straight away from my food processor. Ok, lets go the preparation of Thengai Burfi Recipe with step by step pictures.
If interested check out my other Diwali recipes
Coconut Burfi Recipe / Thengai Burfi Recipe is the most simplest sweet made with 2 main ingredients grated coconut and sugar.
- 1 Cup Grated Coconut
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 5 Cashew Nuts
- 2 Pinch Cardamom Powder Generous
- 2 tsp Ghee
First measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Grease a plate / tray or butter paper with little ghee and keep aside. Grate or grind the coconut and don't use the brown part, discard it. Break cashews into small pieces.
In a pan, add little ghee and fry the cashews till golden colour. Keep by side. To the same pan, add the grated coconut.
Then add sugar and cook in low flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Sugar melts and the coconut mixture loosens now.
Add cardamom powder and mix well. The mixture turns goey, continue cooking in low flame for another 2 minutes.
Then add fried cashews and little ghee (just for flavour, it's optional only).
Now bubbles starts to appear, be alert at this stage. The mixture leaves the sides of the pan and comes together as a mass. Immediately switch off the flame and pour it in the butter paper or plate.
1. Use fresh, tender and juicy coconut for good taste.
2. For white colour coconut burfi recipe, scrap only the white part of the coconut and discard the brown part.
3. For more smooth finishing, you can grind /scrap the coconut in the mixer / blender to a fine paste. I straight away used the grated coconut, didn’t grind it.
4. For easy version, desiccated coconut can be used, in that method soak it in 1/4 cup of warm milk and then use it.
5. Adjust sugar as per sweetness preferred for this thengai burfi recipe.
6. If you want the burfi more juicier, add 1/4 cup of milk along with sugar. But it reduces the shelf life.
7. For rich and creamy version, sugar can be replaced with 1/2 cup of condensed milk.
8. As soon as the bubbles appear in the last stage, be alert next it forms a mass.
9. Also cut it into pieces, when the mixture is warm else if cools it will be hard to cut.
10. Shelf life of this burfi is 15 days, if not using milk.