How many of you like restaurant style Chilli Parotta? It is the most famous street food in Tamilnadu, found in roadside shops, small hotels and even in big restaurants too. This Chilli Parotta Recipe is nothing but regular parotta’s teared into bite sized pieces and tempered with onion, capsicum and sauted in sauces. Actually in restaurants, the parotta’s are dipped in batter and deep fried in oil till crispy. I have given that method too in the tips section. But the version I have shared here is not deep fried and low calorie one, so once in a while you can enjoy it happily!
If interested check out my other Dinner Recipes
Chilli Parotta Recipe | Restaurant Style Chilli Parotta
- 3 Large Parotta
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 4 Garlic
- 1" Piece Ginger
- 1 Onion
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli
- 1 Capsicum
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 tsp Soy Sauce
- Salt As Required
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 tbsp Carrot Optional
- Few Drops Lemon Juice
- Tear the parotta roughly or cut with kitchen scissors or chop with knife as per desire. In a pan, pour 1/2 tbsp of oil and shallow fry the parotta till golden colour.
- Measure and keep all the other ingredients ready. Chop onion and capsicum into cubes or thin strips. Then chop garlic, ginger, green chilli and carrot finely.
- Pour oil in a pan, add finely chopped ginger, garlic, onion and green chilli. Saute till the raw smell of ginger, garlic leaves and the onion turns transparent.
- Add capsicum and just saute for few seconds only, as the veggie should retain it's crunchiness. Then add red chilli powder.
- Pour tomato sauce, soy sauce and give a quick stir.
- Add very little salt only (sauces and parotta have added salt in it). Then add the chopped parotta pieces.
- Toss in medium flame for 2 minutes, till the parotta absorbs all the sauces and chilli powder. Switch of flame and garnish with carrot and coriander leaves. Squeeze lemon juice on top before serving.Enjoy this chilli parotta with onion raitha.
1. I used ready made parotta, you can use homemade ones also.
2. I used my kitchen scissors to cut the parotta. Usually restaurant style chilli parotta looks bigger, so I chopped little big.
3. For Hotel Style: Mix 2 tbsp All purpose flour / corn flour + 2 tsp chilli powder + salt + water to form a batter. Dip the parotta pieces in the batter and deep fry it in oil.
4. Tomato sauce can be replaced with 1 small sized tomato. But don’t add more as it makes the dish mushy.
5. Don’t add soy sauce more than mentioned, else it turns the chilli parotta recipe darker.
6. Adjust green chilli and chilli powder as per spice level preferred.
7. For bright colour, use kashmiri chilli powder or 1 pinch of red food colour (I didn’t use)
8. For more flavour, 1 tsp of garam masala powder can be added.
9. Be little alert while adding salt ,as the parotta and sauces has added salt in it already.
10. For more spiciness, 1/2 tsp of pepper powder can be sprinkled at last.
11. Coriander leaves can be replaced with spring onions also.