Chilli Onion Chutney Recipe is prepared with less than a handful of ingredients. It stays good for a week without refrigeration too. If you plan for a short trip but need homemade food, you can make this chutney within 10 minutes and pack the food with idli, set dosa, plain dosa or with chapati also. But be alert when grinding the shallots, if you grind it for a long time, it turns bitter. Just read the recipe until the end, I have shared some tips to avoid the chutney turning bitter. Already, I have shared some chutney recipes in my blog, using onion, if interested check that too – Raw Onion Chutney, Easy Onion Chutney, Kara Chutney (click the high lighted words, it takes you to the recipe) Also, I have shared this Spicy Vengaya Chutney Recipe with step by step pics, a short YouTube video with voice in Tamil. If you like it, share it and please don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Chilli Onion Chutney Recipe / Spicy Vengaya Chutney Recipe is prepared with less than a handful of ingredients and it stays good for a week.
- 10 Shallots / Small Onion / சின்ன வெங்காயம்
- 1 Medium Onion / பெரிய வெங்காயம்
- 4 Flakes Garlic / பூண்டு
- 10-13 Red Chilli / வரமிளகாய்
- 1 Small Gooseberry Sized Tamarind / புளி
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- 2 tbsp Gingelly Oil / நல்லெண்ணெய்
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / கடுகு
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal / உளுத்தம்பருப்பு
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves / கருவேப்பிலை
- Peel the skin of shallots, garlic and chop regular onion roughly. Then measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
- To a mixer, add shallots, garlic, onion, tamarind, red chilli and required salt. Now grind it in one single stretch, if preferred add very little water and grind it. Also, don’t grind the chutney for a long time till smooth texture, as the shallots start to taste bitter. The texture of this chutney should be coarse only.
- Heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil in a pan, then season it with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Now add the grounded chutney and just saute for a minute in medium flame. The raw smell of the onion should be there, so switch off the flame immediately.
Serve this Chilli Onion Chutney Recipe with Pesarattu / Moong Dal Dosa.
Tips for Spicy Vengaya Chutney Recipe
1. Use shallots for good taste, but if grounded for a long time it starts tasting bitter.
2. To avoid the bitter taste from shallots by chance, I used 1 medium sized regular/big onion.
3. Don’t skip tamarind, as it gives slight tanginess and a nice taste to the Chilli Onion Chutney Recipe.
4. Don't reduce the chilli, else the chutney won't taste good, it should be spicy only.
5. Don't grind the chutney to a smooth paste, let it be coarse. If ground to a smooth texture for a long time it tastes bitter.
6. For different taste 1 sprig of curry leaves can be ground along with onions.
7. Use gingelly oil generously for more flavour, but regular oil can also be used.
8. This Spicy Vengaya Chutney Recipe stays good for 1 week when kept outside and for 2 weeks under refrigeration.