Chilli idli fry recipe is a merge of Indo-Chinese cuisine. Idli‘s are cut into cubes, deep fried in oil, tossed with onion, capsicum and some sauces. If you don’t prefer deep frying, the idli‘s can be shallow fried, but the original recipe calls for deep frying. Kids who hate to eat idli also likes this chilli idli recipe. The leftover idli made in the morning, can be used to prepare this recipe and we have a happy feeling that we have not wasted any food. It is also a delicious and great dinner idea.
Chilli Idli Recipe | Chilli Idli Fry Recipe
Preparation + Cook Time: 30 minutes | Serves: 2
- Idli – 5
- White Part of spring onion – 1 tblsp
- Green Chilli – 2
- Ginger – 1 tsp (Finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tsp (Finely chopped)
- Capsicum – 2 tblsp
- Tomato Sauce – 2 tsp
- Soy Sauce – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Red Food Colour – 1 pinch (optional)
- Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green part of Spring Onion – 1 tblsp (For garnishing)
- Oil – For deep frying
- Salt – To taste
1. Chop green and white part of spring onion and capsicum into cubes. Also chop ginger and garlic very finely. Refrigerate idli for 2 hours or use the left over idli’s made in the morning. Cut into big pieces. Heat oil in a kadai and add the idli pieces one by one. Don’t over crowd with idli’s as it will stick with each other. If it sticks refrigerate again for about 30 minutes.
2. Deep fry on both sides till golden brown and crispy. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan, add chopped ginger, garlic and fry for a while. Then add spring onions, green chilli and saute well.
3. Now add capsicum and saute again. Don’t cook very soft, the veggie should retain the crunchiness. Then add soy sauce.
4. Add tomato sauce, food colour and sugar. Add very little salt, as the sauces have added salt in it. Increase the flame and now add the fried idli’s.
5. Now toss the idli’s in very high flame and add pepper powder. Don’t cook more than that. Just make sure the idli’s absorb the sauces and it should be crispy not soggy. Finally add spring onions and toss again. Switch off flame.
Serve this Chilli Idli hot with Onion Raitha.
1. Don’t use fresh idli‘s as it will break into crumbs while cutting itself.
2. Use any left over idli or refrigerate for 2 hours and use it.
3. Never freeze the idli’s, as freezing changes the taste and texture of the chilli idli recipe.
4. When frying don’t over crowd the idli‘s as it will start sticking.
5. If the idli’s stick to one another, refrigerate for another 30 minutes and refry again.
6. Fry the idli’s until very crispy as it doesn’t becomes soggy after tossing in sauces.
7. You can also shallow fry the idli or fry it in tawa with little oil.
8. Don’t over cook the veggies, it should retain its crunchiness.
9. Don’t add soya sauce more than mentioned as it will change the taste and colour of the dish.
10. This chilli idli fry recipe tastes good when served hot.
Leave a Reply