This weekend special post is the famous Chettinad mushroom biryani recipe, with step by step photos and a quick YouTube video. Unlike, other biryani recipes, there is no veggies chopping, peeling garlic pods or grinding part, neither a pressure cooker is needed, just you can cook in the same pan itself. As all of us know, mushrooms are a rich source of protein, it is a perfect meal for vegetarians and kids. I usually pair it up with any deep-fried dishes like cauliflower pakoras or cauliflower 65.
Chettinad Mushroom Biryani Recipe | Mushroom Biryani Recipe
- 1.5 Cup Rice
- 1.5 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Onion
- 2 Tomato
- 3 Green Chilli
- 1 Cup Water
- Salt As Required
To Marinate Mushrooms
- 2 Cup Mushroom
- 1 Cup Curd
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Handful Mint Leaves
- 1 Handful Coriander Leaves
- 4 tbsp Oil / Ghee Link for Ghee
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Cinnamon
- 4 Cardamom
- 7 Cloves
- 10 Pepper corns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Small piece Black Stone Flower
- 2 Star Anise
- Rinse the mushrooms well and chop it into quarters. Keep the chopped mushrooms over a kitchen towel for 10 minutes, so the moisture will be absorbed. In the meantime, measure and keep all the other ingredients by side.
- Clean the mint leaves, coriander leaves and chop it finely. Then chop the onion and slit green chillis. Also, set the spices ready for tempering.
- Extract coconut milk and chop tomato. Rinse the basmati rice and keep soaked in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely and keep by side.
- Heat oil in a pan, add little quantity of the chopped onion and fry till golden colour. Keep it separately and reserve little onions to add at last. To the same pan or bowl, add mushrooms, curd, ginger - garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, mint and coriander leaves.
- Add required salt and mix everything well. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- To a heavy bottomed pan, pour oil/ghee and temper with the ingredients listed in the table 'To Temper'. Once nice smell wafts, add onion and saute till translucent.
- Now add tomatoes and saute until mushy. Then add the marinated mushrooms and saute for 2 to 3 minutes in medium flame, till the raw smell leaves.
- Add coconut milk, salt - only for the rice, as we have already added for the mushrooms.
- Once the coconut milk starts to boil, add the rice and mix everything gently. Cook covered in low flame for 10 to 12 minutes. Give a standing time of 5 minutes and gently fluff the rice with a fork.Serve this Mushroom Biryani Recipe with raitha and easy aloo fry.
Tips for making Chettinad Mushroom Biryani Recipe1. Use good quality and aged basmati rice. For an authentic taste, jeeraga samba rice can also be used.
2. Soaking rice for 30 minutes is a must, as it helps in even cooking and gives firm/separate grains.
3. Always clean and dry the mushrooms properly. Otherwise, it leaves too much water when cooking and the dish becomes mushy.
4. Also, chop the mint and coriander leaves finely (step: 2), if used without chopping, it gets stuck in the mouth, when eating.
5. Give at least 30 minutes marination time for the mushrooms (step: 5), so the flavour gets infused well.
6. I suggest using fried onions, as it lends more flavour to the mushroom biryani recipe.
7. Adjust chilli powder and green chilli as per spice level required.
8. Don't use curd and coconut milk more than mentioned, else the rice becomes mushy.
9. For quick preparation, ready made coconut milk can be used.
10. Add salt separately for mushrooms and rice.