Chana Biryani Recipe / Chole Biryani Recipe with step by step pictures and a Short YouTube video. Unlike, veg biryani there is not much chopping work needed, just cook chole separately, then temper with spices, add masala powder, rice, mix everything and that’s it, your biryani is ready. I used my pressure pan, so done as an one-pot meal and completed the whole cooking within 20 minutes. Mostly, I prepare different varieties of biryani or pulao on weekends and I prepared this biryani almost 3 months back, took the photograph but totally forgotten to share it. Just 2 days before, I came to remember about this post and as the weekend has come you can try it and have a delicious protein packed feast. Also, you can pair it with a simple Cauliflower 65 or Aloo Gobi Fry. Instead of Chole you can use other legumes or bean variety and follow the same method. If interested check my other chana recipes like chole bhature and channa sundal too. Finally, do watch the video, If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Biryani Recipes like
Unlike, veg biryani there is not much chopping work needed for this Chana Biryani Recipe / Chole Biryani Recipe. I used my pressure pan, so done as an one-pot meal and completed the whole cooking within 20 minutes.
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1 Cup Chana / Chole
- 1 Onion
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste Link for ginger garlic paste
- 1 Large Tomato
- 15 Mint Leaves
- 2 Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder Link for garam masala
- 2 tsp Biryani / Chole Masala
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Curd
- Salt As Required
- 1/4 Cup Mint Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- 8 to 10 Shallots
- 10 Flakes Garlic
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/4 Cup Oil / Ghee Link for Homemade ghee
- 1 Cinnamon
- 5 Cloves
- 5 Cardamon
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Small Piece Black Stone Mass
First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. For Grinding: clean mint, coriander leaves, peel the skin of shallots, garlic then chop tomato and green chilli roughly. The ingredients in the second pic are for tempering.
For Sauteing: chop onion and tomato finely. Also, measure and keep 1 cup of thick coconut milk, 1/2 cup of thick curd and spice powders ready.
Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. Then rinse well, drain the water and keep the rice aside. Also, soak channa for 8 hours or overnight and pressure cook for 2 whistles (half cooked only). To a mixer, add all the ingredients listed in the table 'To Grind'. Then, grind it to a smooth paste by adding very little water.
Then add tomato and saute till mushy. Now add the mint leaves and the grounded paste. Cook for 2 minutes in low flame, till the raw smell in the paste leaves.
Add the half cooked channa, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, biryani masala, required salt and mix everything. Now pour the coconut milk and water.
Once it starts to boil, add the soaked rice.
Tips for Chana Biryani Recipe
1. Use good quality and aged basmati rice for long rice grains, I used India Gate basmati rice, else you can use Jeeraga Samba or Biryani Rice too.
2. Soaking rice for 30 mins is important, as it helps in even cooking and gives firm/separate grains.
3. Chole should be soaked for 8 hours or overnight and cooked till soft otherwise it won't get cooked along with biryani.
4. If you want to quicken the process, use canned chole, as it can be used directly.
5. Adjust chilli powder and spice powders as per your tastebuds.
6. Biryani Masala can be replaced with Chole masala too.
7. Addition of coconut milk lends more flavour and also don’t reduce the quantity.
8. Coconut milk can be replaced with water. But coconut milk lends richness to the Chole Biryani Recipe.
9. Don't use curd and coconut milk more than mentioned, else the rice becomes mushy.
10. If you are calorie conscious, reduce the ghee quantity and go with oil.
11. If you have a black stone flower in hand, never miss to add it, which lends a wonderful aroma to the whole dish.