Carrot Moong Dal Salad is the most popular salad in Karnataka, especially in Udupi cuisine. It is a combination of soak lentils and veggies. Mostly Carrot or Cucumber Kosambari is served as part of the meal in marriages, festivals or even offered as prasad in temples. Do try this healthy salad which will be cool and refreshing for this summer.
Carrot Kosambari | Carrot Moong Dal Salad
1 Cup = 250 ML, 1 tsp = 5 ML
- 1 Cup Carrot
- 3 tbsp Moong Dal
- 1 Small Lemon
- 2 Pinch Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Green Chilli (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Pinch Hing
- Grate carrots in a slicer. Soak moong dal in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain water completely.
- In a large bowl add carrots, moong dal and squeeze lemon in it.
- Heat a kadai and temper the items given under the table 'To Temper'. Add to the salad. Finally add salt and mix well.
Tips for Carrot Moong dal Salad1. If you don't like green chilli you can omit.
2. Also, add salt at last, or else Kosambari oozes out water.
3. You can use other veggies like cucumber, cabbage, beetroot or radish for this Carrot Moong Dal Salad.
4. For variation replace moong dal with soaked channa dal.
Method for Carrot Kosambari Recipe
1. Grate carrots in a slicer. Soak moong dal in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain water completely.
2. In a large bowl add carrots, moong dal and squeeze a lemon in it.
3. Heat a Kadai and temper the items given under the table ‘To Temper‘ and add to the salad. Finally, add salt and mix well.