This Gajar Ka Halwa recipe is an yummy Indian dessert, which tastes delicious when served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. There are so many methods to prepare this halwa, but I have shared a simple version only. This Carrot Halwa Recipe is the last post for this year that I am sharing in my blog, see you all with new interesting recipes next year.
Wish all my viewers a Happy and prosperous New Year 2018.
Carrot Halwa Recipe | Gajar Ka Halwa Recipe
- 1/2 Kg Carrot
- 1/2 Litre Boiled Milk 2 Cups
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/8 Cup Condensed Milk Optional
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tbsp Almonds / Pistachios / Cashews For Garnishing
- Peel the skin of carrot, wash and grate it or use a food processor to make the process quicker. Measure 2 cups of milk and keep by side.
- Measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
- Heat very little ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and add grated carrots. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes in low flame, till the grated carrots shrinks and the raw smell leaves. Then pour 2 cups of boiled milk.
- Cook covered for 10 minutes, by stirring in the middle frequently and the milk evaporates. Ensure the carrots are cooked well before adding sugar. Sugar melts and the mixture starts to loosen.
- Keep stirring and once the mixture starts to thicken, pour condensed milk and 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Add cardamom powder and keep mixing, till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- Heat ghee in a pan, then add chopped almonds, pista and roast well. Sprinkle the roasted almonds, pista and mix everything well.Enjoy this Gajar ka halwa Recipe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
1. Use fresh, tender and juicy carrots for good taste.
2. Use Delhi carrots for vibrant and red coloured carrot halwa recipe.
3. I used normal vegetable grater, but it takes time. You can use food processor to quicken the process.
4. I used full fat milk, so didn’t use khova. If preferred, use 1/4 cup at the final stage, it thickens the halwa fast.
5. Use a heavy bottomed pan / non stick pan otherwise the halwa gets burnt at the bottom.
6. Also saute the carrots well (step 3) in ghee, to avoid the raw smell of the veggie.
7. Ensure the carrots are cooked completely before adding sugar, else it wont gets cooked afterwards.
8. Addition of condensed milk is optional, but it enriches the taste of gajar ka halwa recipe.
9. This halwa stays good for 1 week under refrigeration, serve it either warm or chilled.