Cabbage Vada Recipe with step by step pics, a tasty alternative to the regular Medhu Vada. I followed my ulundhu vadai batter proportion but replaced shallots with finely chopped cabbage. You can even use red cabbage or carrots to make it more colourful. Alternatively, this vada can be prepared with channa dal too, as cabbage Masal vadai and I am sure that you don’t have any raw smell of the veggie. I always pair it up with coconut chutney and filter coffee for evening tiffin, it’s really a pure bliss. I have shared this Muttaikose Vadai Recipe with a short YouTube video, If you like it, share it and please don’t forgot to subscribe to my channel.
Cabbage Vada Recipe / Muttaikose Vadai Recipe is a tasty alternative to the regular Medhu Vada. I followed my ulundhu vadai batter proportion but replaced shallots with finely chopped cabbage. You can even use red cabbage or carrots to make it more colourful.
- 1 Cup Urad Dal / உளுத்தம்பருப்பு
- 2 tbsp Raw Rice / பச்சைஅரிசி
- 2 tsp Bengal Gram / Channa Dal / கடலை பருப்பு
- 1.5 Cup Cabbage / முட்டைகோஸ் Finely Chopped
- 2 Green Chilli / பச்சைமிளகாய்
- 1" Piece Ginger / இஞ்சி
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves / கருவேப்பில்லை
- 2 Pinch Hing / பெருங்காயம்
- 1 tsp Pepper / மிளகு
- 1 tsp Jeera / ஜீரகம்
- Salt / உப்பு To Taste
- Oil / எண்ணெய் To Fry
- Soak urad dal, raw rice, channa dal in water for 2 to 3 hours. Then rinse everything well and drain the water completely. Add the soaked ingredients to a grinder/mixer.
Then sprinkle little water and grind it for 15 to 20 minutes, until the batter becomes smooth and fluffy (please watch the video link for more details).
- Transfer the grounded batter to a bowl, refrigerate the batter till use. Then chop cabbage, green chilli and ginger thinly. Also, keep all the other ingredients ready.
- Add cabbage (there should be no water left in the cabbage), green chilli, ginger, jeera, pepper, curry leaves, hing and required salt. Mix everything well and by the time heat oil in a kadai /pan.
- Wet your right hand, take a small portion of the batter and flatten it little. Use your thumb to make a hole in the middle. When the oil is hot enough (not fuming), drop the batter slowly in oil.
- Fry in medium flame, until both the sides turn crisp and golden brown.
Try this Muttaikose Vadai Recipe for this Pongal Festival.
Tips for Muttaikose Vadai Recipe
- Either red coloured or regular cabbage can be used, there will be no difference in taste.
- Chop the cabbage finely and ensure there is no water content in the cabbage, before adding it to the batter.
- I chopped the green chilli and then added to the batter. You can grind it along with urad dal also.
Don’t skip ginger and jeera, as it helps in digestion.
For the batter
1. Use only whole urad dal and don’t soak for more than 3 hours.
2. Don’t add too much water when grinding, or else the vada absorbs too much oil.
3. Grind the batter till soft and fluffy to get a soft Muttaikose Vadai Recipe.
4. Do not grind the batter for more than 20 minutes, else the batter becomes sticky and the vada cannot be shaped well.
5. Addition of raw rice and channa dal gives crispy vada. But if you grind the batter properly, no need of adding it, the vada turns crispy by itself.
6. Add salt only before frying, otherwise, the moisture content in the salt makes the batter little runny.
7. Always refrigerate the batter till use for this Cabbage vada Recipe.
8. If the vadai absorbs more oil, add 2 tsp of maida or rice flour to the batter.