Muttaikose Curry or Cabbage Sabzi is a very simple yet healthy one and can be prepared within minutes. The only messy part is chopping the veggie, that too if you use a food processor for chopping the veggie, the task would be finished quickly. Though i prepare varieties of curry items, sometimes my choice would go to these type simple curries. I have learnt this recipe from Jaya TV, Revathi Shanmugam’s mam show. Let see how to prepare this Cabbage Curry recipe.
Cabbage Curry Recipe | Muttaikose Curry | Cabbage Sabzi
1 Cup = 250 ML, 1 tsp = 5 ML
- 1 Cup Cabbage
- 1 Big Onion
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1½ tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut
- Salt To Taste
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Chop cabbage and onion finely.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the items given under the table 'To temper'. Add chopped onion and fry till transparent.
- Now add crushed ginger and cabbage. To this add turmeric powder, chilli powder, Sambar powder and salt. Mix well, sprinkle little water. Cook covered in low flame, until the raw smell of the veggie emanates.
- Add grated coconut, garnish with some coriander leaves.Serve as side dish with any sambar, rasam and rice.
Tips for Cubbage Curry Recipe1. Adding ginger helps to remove the smell of cabbage.
2. Addition of fennel seeds is optional for this Cabbage Curry, but the original recipe calls for fennel seeds.
3. You can replace fennel seeds with Cumin seeds also.
4. Adjust chilli powder as per your spicie level.
5. You can also add one green chilli for more spiciness.
6. Just add the mentioned turmeric powder, since the colour of the curry gets darker as it gets cooked.
7. Don't add too much of water, just sprinkle water while preparing, or else the muttaikose curry turns mushy.
8. For variation 1 tomato for tanginess.
9. Additionally you can little green peas or carrot to this cabbage curry.
Method for Muttaikose Curry
1. Chop cabbage and onion finely.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and add the items given under the table ‘To Temper‘. Add chopped onion and fry till transparent.
3. Now add crushed ginger and cabbage. To this add turmeric powder, chilli powder, Sambar powder and salt. Mix well, sprinkle little water. Cook covered in low flame, until the raw smell of the veggie emanates.
4. Add grated coconut, garnish with some coriander leaves.
Serve this Cabbage Sabzi as side dish with any sambar, rasam and rice.