Broken Wheat Upma recipe with step by step pictures, is a very healthy and also a quick breakfast that can be easily prepared during the busy morning hours. It is also known as cracked wheat / Dalia and helps in weight loss. It is a good source of magnesium, so helps to reduce diabetic levels and lower the risk of heart failure immensely. As it is loaded with nutrients and the addition of veggies in the Godhumai Upma recipe makes the breakfast filling and keeps us energetic all through the day. It tastes amazing with coconut chutney or Khara chutney.
If interested check out my other upma and breakfast recipes
Broken Wheat Upma Recipe | Godhumai Upma Recipe
- 1 Cup Broken Wheat
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Onion
- 1 Small Tomato Optional
- 2 to 3 Green Chilli
- 1 Small Piece Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Vegetables carrot, beans, peas
- Salt As Required
- Coriander Leaves For Garnishing
- 1 tbsp Oil / Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 2 tsp Channa Dal
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- First of all chop onion, green chilli, veggies and also crush ginger. Measure and keep all the other ingredients ready.
- To a pan, add the broken wheat and dry roast it for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame, till nice aroma wafts. Take care not to burn it.
- Next to the same pan, pour oil and temper with the ingredients listed in the table 'To Temper'. Then add onion, green chilli and ginger. Saute well til the onions turn transparent.
- Now add the veggies and saute for few minutes, till the raw smell in the veggies leaves. Pour 3 cups of water and allow it to boil.
- Add required salt. Once the water starts to roll boil, add the broken wheat slowly in a sprinkled way (this method helps to avoid lump formation). Cook covered for 7 to 8 minutes in very low flame, by constant stirring in the middle.
Tips for Godhumai Upma Recipe
1. Certainly other veggies like beans, potato, beetroot etc can also be added.
2. Roasting the broken wheat is optional, however it adds nice aroma to the Godhumai Upma Recipe.
3. Ginger adds nice flavour to the upma and also helps in digestion.
4. Crushed ginger can be replaced with ginger paste also.
5. This broken wheat upma recipe can be prepared plain without any veggies also.
6. For tangy version, tomato can be used. But I didn’t use.
7. Always ensure the water is roll boiling, before adding the broken wheat, else it wont get cooked.
8. Don’t reduce the mentioned water quantity, as the broken wheat absorbs the water very quickly. Also keep 1/2 cup of hot water by side, if needed you can use it.
9. For colourful upma, 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder can be used along with salt.
10. Also cook covered in low flame only, to get the softness in the upma.
11. For more taste, roasted cashews or peanuts can be used.