Broken Wheat Upma recipe with step by step pictures, is a very healthy and also a quick breakfast that can be easily prepared during the busy morning hours. It is also known as cracked wheat / Dalia and helps in weight loss. It is a good source of magnesium, so helps to reduce diabetic levels and lower the risk of heart failure immensely. As it is loaded with nutrients and the addition of veggies in the Godhumai Upma recipe makes the breakfast filling and keeps us energetic all through the day. It tastes amazing with coconut chutney or Khara chutney.
If interested check out my other upma and breakfast recipes
1. Other veggies like beans, potato, beetroot etc can also be added.
2. Roasting the broken wheat is optional, but it adds nice aroma to the Godhumai Upma Recipe.
3. Ginger adds nice flavour to the upma and also helps in digestion.
4. Crushed ginger can be replaced with ginger paste also.
5. This broken wheat upma recipe can be prepared plain without any veggies also.
6. For tangy version, tomato can be used. But I didn’t use.
7. Always ensure the water is roll boiling, before adding the broken wheat, else it wont get cooked .
8. Don’t reduce the mentioned water quantity, as the broken wheat absorbs the water very quickly. Also keep 1/2 cup of hot water by side, if needed you can use it.
9. For colourful upma, 1/8 tsp of turmeric powder can be used along with salt.
10. Also cook covered in low flame only, to get the softness in the upma.
11. For more taste, roasted cashews or peanuts can be used.