Boondi Laddu Recipe with stepwise pics and a short YouTube video, if you like my video, please SUBSCRIBE to my channel. I think no introduction is needed for this Boondi Ladoo Recipe. But anyhow, I will explain a little, it is prepared from besan flour with a specially designed perforated ladle, but if you don’t have one, you can use the regular ones with holes. It is almost prepared in all marriages, festivals like Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi, Raksha Bandhan etc and ideal for gift packing too. The word boondi derived from the Hindi word ‘Boond’ which means water droplets. I have shared the recipe with detailed tips, that you will surely get a no-flop ladoo, read it, prepare it and come on!!! Let’s start the Diwali countdown…
Boondi Laddu Recipe | Boondi Ladoo Recipe
1 Cup = 250 ML, 1 tsp = 5 ML
For the Boondi
- 1 Cup Besan Flour / கடலைமாவு
- 1/4 tsp Cooking Soda / சமையல்சோடா
- 1 Pinch Salt / உப்பு
- 1/2 Cup Water / தண்ணீர்
- Oil / எண்ணெய் For deep frying
- 1 tbsp Ghee / நெய் Link for ghee
- 1 tbsp Cashew / முந்திரி
- 1 tbsp Raisins / உலர்ந்த திராட்சை
- 5 Cloves / கிராம்பு
- 5 Cardamom / ஏலக்காய்
For the Sugar Syrup
- 1.25 Cup Sugar / சக்கரை
- 1/2 Cup Water / தண்ணீர்
- 2 to 3 Drops Yellow food colour
- 2 to 3 Drops Rose Essence / எசென்ஸ் (Optional)
- 1 Small Piece Edible Camphor / பச்சை கற்பூரம் (Optional)
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. These are the ladles required (pic 2) for making this ladoo.
- Sieve the besan flour once. Take a wide bowl, add besan flour, cooking soda and 1 pinch of salt. Pour 1/2 cup of water and mix everything well to form a lump free batter. If the batter consistency is thick, the boondi will have tails, if watery, the boondi will turn flat. So medium batter consistency is ok (like dosa batter).
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai, first take a spoon and dip the tail of the spoon in the batter and drop a little batter in the oil, if the boondi’s are perfectly round in shape then go ahead. If the boondi’s have tail, add little water and if it turns flat, add 1 tbsp of besan flour. Place the big ladle (perforated ladle) above the oil not too high, hold the ladle firmly and pour 1 ladle full of batter over the big ladle. Just spread the batter gently with the same ladle, or tap or shake it. Also, wipe both the sides of the perforated ladle with a tissue paper every time to get round shaped boondi, this step is to clear the block.
- Fry till golden brown on both sides and the shhhhh sound ceases. Drain it in tissue paper, do the same with the remaining batter.
- To a pan, pour 1 tbsp of ghee, then add crushed cardamom, cloves, cashews and raisins. Fry everything till golden colour and keep aside.
- To a pan, add 1.25 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well in medium flame, until the sugar gets dissolved. Once bubbles appear, lower the flame. The mixture gets thicken soon and heat till you get a single string consistency. Be alert at this stage, don’t heat furthermore, else the sugar syrup turns hard.
- Switch off the flame, then pour 2 to 3 drops of food colour and rose essence.
- Add 1 small piece of edible camphor and the fried boondi. Ensure the sugar syrup is hot when adding the boondi, so it absorbs the sugar syrup easily. Mix everything quickly.
- Add the fried cloves, cardamom, cashews and raisins. When it is warm itself, start shaping the ladoo. Pinch a portion of the boondi mixture and roll into balls of equal size.
- Roll it tightly and set aside for a minimum of 1 hour, so the ladoo become firm.Enjoy this Boondi Laddu Recipe with Butter Murukku.
1. Always sieve the besan flour for even and smooth batter. 2. Also whisk the batter well without any lumps. 3. Batter consistency: This is the most important point to be noted here, it should be like the regular dosa batter. If it’s thick, the boondi will have a tail and if watery the boondi will fall flat.
4. To check the batter: Dip the tail side of the spoon in the batter and drop a little batter in the oil and if the boondi holds a perfectly round shape, then the batter consistency is perfect. 5. To troubleshoot: If the boondi have a tail, then add very little water to the batter and if it falls flat, then add about 1 or 2 tbsp of besan flour to the batter and whisk well. For the sugar syrup
1. 1 string consistency is important, else Boondi Ladoo Recipe cannot be shaped. 2. Don't cook furthermore, else the sugar syrup turns hard. 3. Addition of food colour and rose essence is optional. 4. Even 1 tsp of melon seeds, sugar candy can be added for more taste. 5. Always add the boondi, when the sugar syrup is hot itself, so it easily absorbs the syrup. 6. Addition of edible camphor lends a divine smell to the Boondi Laddu Recipe. But don't add more, else the ladoo taste slightly bitter. How to avoid the sugar syrup crystallizing
1. 1/2 tsp of lemon juice can be added to the sugar syrup. 2. Always prepare the sugar syrup on medium flame only. 3. Also, don't add more sugar than mentioned. Shaping the Ladoo
1. Ensure the boondi mixture is warm, if it cools down, you will not be able to shape. 2. Don't add too much cashew, raisins, melon seeds, or sugar candy. If adding more, you will not be able to roll.