Black Gram is nothing but the urad dal with the skin. This Black Gram helps to improve digestion, increases the mineral density in the bones, regulates the blood glucose level for diabetic patients etc., so I think this post will be useful for you all. Usually, we make Idli Podi with the skinless urad dal, but trust me this taste was close to the Sakthi and Murugan Idli Podi. I had a half pack of leftover black gram, after using for Dal Makhani so when I thought of finishing it, this Black Gram Idli Podi Recipe came to my mind. Though I prepare chutneys, sambar for Idli, Dosa, it is a custom in my home to have at least a spoon of Podi by side, so why not we give some healthy kinds of stuff for our family? Also, I have shared this Karuppu Ulundhu Podi Recipe with step by step pics and a short YouTube video (with the voice in Tamil) too. If you like the video, please Like it, Share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my channel.
Check my other Podi Recipes like
- Idli Milagai Podi / Gun Powder
- Drumstick Leaves / Moringa Podi
- Garlic / Poondu Podi
- Peanut / Verkadalai Podi
The taste of this Black Gram Idli Podi Recipe / Karuppu Ulundhu Podi Recipe was close to Sakthi and Murugan Idli Podi and has numerous health benefits.
- 1 Cup Black Gram Urad Dal / கருப்பு உளுந்து
- 1/4 Cup Channa Dal / கடலைப்பருப்பு
- 5 to 6 Flakes Garlic / பூண்டு
- 15 to 20 Red Chilli / வரமிளகாய்
- 1 tbsp Rice / அரிசி
- 1/2 tsp Hing / பெருங்காயம்
- 1 tsp Pepper Corns / மிளகு
- 1 tsp Jeera / சீரகம்
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves / கருவேப்பில்லை
- 2 to 3 tsp Oil / எண்ணெய்
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- First, measure and keep all the ingredients ready. Peel the skin of the garlic pods and chop it very finely.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add the chopped garlic, fry it till crispy and nice smell wafts. Ensure that the garlic is not burnt or soggy and keep aside. To the same pan, pour 1 tsp of oil, then add black urad dal and channa dal.
- Now add rice, red chilli, hing, then roast everything in medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes and keep by side. To the same pan, add pepper and jeera.
- Finally, add curry leaves and roast till it turns crisp, switch off the flame. Spread it in a wide plate and cool down everything.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer and grind it to a coarse/smooth powder as preferred. Add required salt and mix well. Allow it to cool down and store it in an airtight container.
Serve this Black Gram Idli Podi Recipe with Instant Onion Rava Dosa.
Tips for Black Gram Idli Podi Recipe
- I used whole black urad dal, you can use split black urad dal too.
- Don’t skip garlic, as it lends more flavour. Also, fry till crispy, else it becomes like a paste when grinding.
- Adjust red chilli and pepper corns as per spice level required for this Black Gram idli Podi recipe.
- Use Kashmiri chilli or Byadgi chilli for bright colour. But I used regular chilli's only.
- Always roast red chilli along with dal for even roasting, if roasted alone it gets burnt.
- The colour of this Karuppu Ulundhu Podi Recipe depends on the type of chilli used.
- For more flavour, even 2 tsp of black or white sesame seeds can be used.
- Slow roast all the ingredients in low flame, avoid burning it, as it would change the whole taste.
- Ingredients can be dry roasted also, but I used little oil as it gives a nice colour to the podi.
- This podi can be ground into a smooth/coarse powder as preferred.
- The shelf life of this podi is 2 months when stored in a clean and dry container.